Start your holiday right with this Cinnamon Roll Apple Bake! This easy-to-make crock pot recipe combines the sweet flavors of cinnamon rolls and fresh apples, topped with a rich custard and condensed milk. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert, it’s a crowd-pleaser that can be prepared ahead, freeing you up to enjoy the festivities.
Three rolls of cinnamon rolls form the base of your dish and give it that sweet, cinnamon flavor. You can use any brand or type; just be sure to remove and set aside the frosting packets for later use.
One can of sweetened condensed milk adds a rich, sweet flavor to the dish. It will be drizzled over the ingredients in the crock pot before cooking.
Half a cup of heavy cream: This is used in the custard mixture poured over the cinnamon rolls and apples. It adds a creamy texture to the dish.
Four eggs: These are also used in the custard mixture. They help to bind the ingredients together and give the dish a fluffy texture.
Two teaspoons of ground cinnamon: This adds an extra hit of cinnamon flavor to the dish. It is mixed into the custard mixture.
One teaspoon of vanilla gives the custard a sweet, aromatic flavor. It is also mixed into the custard mixture.
Two apples: These are peeled and chopped, then layered in the crock pot with the cinnamon rolls. They add a fresh, fruity flavor to the dish.
Making The Cinnamon Roll Apple Bake In The Crockpot
Prep the Apples and Cinnamon Rolls:
Start by peeling and chopping your apples until you have two to two and a half cups. Next, open your three cinnamon rolls, remove the frosting packets, and set them aside. Cut each cinnamon roll into quarters, aiming for pieces about an inch in diameter.
Make the Custard:
In a separate bowl, combine four eggs, half a cup of heavy cream, two teaspoons of ground cinnamon, and one teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk these ingredients together until they are well combined.
Layer the Ingredients in the Crock Pot:
Line your crock pot with a large piece of parchment paper for easy cleanup. Add half of the quartered cinnamon rolls to the bottom of the pot in an even layer. Then, add your chopped apples on top of the cinnamon rolls. Finally, add the remaining cinnamon rolls on top of the apples.
Add the Custard and Condensed Milk:
Pour your custard mixture evenly over the layered cinnamon rolls and apples. Then, drizzle a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top. As the dish cooks, the condensed milk will melt and combine with the other ingredients to create a rich, sweet flavor.
Cover your crock pot and set it to high. Let the dish cook for about four hours. If it cooks for longer than that, turn the crock pot to the warm setting to prevent overcooking.
Add the Frosting:
After the dish has finished cooking, take your frosting packets and snip off the edge of each one. Drizzle one packet of frosting over the top of the dish. Keep the other two packets on hand for those who might want extra frosting.
Serve the dish warm in small bowls or ramekins. Allow guests to add extra frosting to their individual servings if they wish. Consider adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream to each serving for a dessert option. Enjoy this delicious, comforting dish!
Tips and Variations for Cinnamon Roll Apple Bake Recipe
- Use a Crock Pot Liner or Parchment Paper: This helps with easy cleanup and prevents the bake from sticking to the bottom of the crock pot.
- Switch up the Fruit: You can use pears instead of apples or mix half and half for a different flavor profile.
- Try Different Cinnamon Rolls: Experiment with brands or cinnamon rolls to find your favorite.
- Adjust the Sweetness: If you find the recipe too sweet, you can reduce the amount of sweetened condensed milk or frosting used.
- Add Nuts: Add chopped pecans or walnuts to the layers for a bit of crunch and extra flavor.
- Prep Ahead: You can cut the cinnamon rolls and prepare the custard the night before to save time in the morning.
- Serve with Ice Cream: If serving as a dessert, a scoop of vanilla ice cream would complement the warm, cinnamon flavors beautifully.
- Check the Bake Regularly: Crock pots can vary in temperature, so check the bake after 3 hours to ensure it doesn’t overcook.
- Use the Leftover Condensed Milk: Don’t waste the leftover sweetened condensed milk in the can. Instead, brew your coffee right into it for a sweet treat!
Frequently Asked Question
Can I use a different type of fruit?
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Can I use homemade cinnamon rolls instead of store-bought?
How do I store leftovers?
Can I use a different type of milk instead of sweetened condensed milk?
Can I cook this on low instead of high in the crock pot?
Can I add nuts to this recipe?
Can I use a different type of frosting?
Cinnamon Roll Apple Bake in the Crockpot
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 3 rolls of cinnamon rolls
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 apples
- Peel and chop the apples, and cut each cinnamon roll into quarters.
- Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- First, add half of the cinnamon rolls, then the apples, then the rest of the cinnamon rolls.
- Pour the custard mixture over the layered ingredients, then drizzle the sweetened condensed milk on top.
- Cover the crock pot and set it to high for four hours.
- After cooking, drizzle the frosting from the cinnamon roll packets over the top of the dish. Serve warm, with extra frosting on the side if desired.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 15gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gProtein: 6g