Crockpot chicken fajitas are a delicious and easy way to enjoy Mexican food at home. You don’t need a lot of ingredients or time to make this recipe. Just some chicken, onion, bell peppers, and a few spices. Put them in the crockpot and let them cook until the chicken is tender and juicy. Then shred the chicken and mix it with the veggies and sauce. Serve them on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings. Cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole…whatever you like. This is a great meal for busy weeknights or meal prep.
Seasonings: For seasonings, I’ve got half a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of cumin, half a teaspoon of chili powder, and half a teaspoon of onion powder.
Lime Juice: Two tablespoons of lime juice.
Capsicum: I’ve got three capsicums or bell peppers, yellow, red, and green, and an onion.
Chicken Broth: Half a cup of chicken broth.
Chicken Breasts: Two chicken breasts and a little extra bell pepper and onion.
Making The Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
Layer the vegetables in the crockpot: Place the sliced onion and bell peppers on the bottom. They will fill it about halfway, maybe a little more.
Add the chicken and seasonings: Lay the chicken breasts on the vegetables. You don’t need to cut them up because you will shred them later. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken. You can mix it together a little bit if you want, but it doesn’t matter. It will all get mixed later.
Pour the chicken broth and lime juice: Add the chicken broth and lime juice over the chicken and vegetables. This will help keep the chicken moist and add some flavor.
Cook on low for 8 hours: Cover the crockpot and cook it on low for at least 4 hours, but preferably 8 hours. The longer you cook it, the more tender the chicken will be.
Shred the chicken: After 8 hours, turn off the crockpot and open the lid. You will see a lot of liquid, onions, and bell peppers. The chicken should be very easy to shred with two forks. Just pull it apart into bite-sized pieces and mix it with the liquid and vegetables.
Serve with tortillas and toppings: Use a slotted spoon to scoop out some of the chicken mixture and place it on a tortilla. Add some shredded cheese and a bit of sour cream if you like. You can also add any other toppings you prefer, such as salsa or guacamole. Fold the tortilla over and enjoy your fajita!
Tip & Variations
- For a spicier dish: Add some chopped jalapeños, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper to the crockpot along with the other ingredients. You can also use a spicier fajita seasoning mix or add chili powder to your homemade one.
- To make it creamier: Mix in some cream cheese or sour cream to the crockpot after shredding the chicken. This will make the sauce thicker and richer.
- If you want to use fresh lime juice: Squeeze some limes over the chicken and vegetables before serving. This will add a burst of freshness and acidity to the dish.
- For a vegetarian option: Replace the chicken with tofu or beans. You can also add more vegetables, such as zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, or corn.
- To serve it differently: Instead of tortillas, you can serve the crockpot chicken fajitas over rice, quinoa, salad, or nachos. You can also make a fajita bowl or a fajita wrap with your favorite ingredients.
- 500g (1 pound) chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced in rings or thin strips
- 3 capsicum (bell peppers) of any colour cut in strips
- 1/2 tsp salt,
- 1-2 tbsp cumin,
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp chilli powder,
- 1/2 tsp onion powder [Or use a packet of fajita spice mix if you prefer]
- 2-3Tbsp of lime juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (optional)
- Tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream or whatever else you like.
- Mix bell peppers (capsicum) and onion slices in the bottom of the crock pot. Then, arrange chicken breasts on top.
- Seasonings should be sprinkled over the top, followed by broth and lime juice. Cook on low for a minimum of 4 hours and a maximum of 10 hours.
- When finished, use two forks to shred the chicken inside the pot.
- To remove the mixture without too much liquid, use a slotted spoon or pasta spoon.
- Scoop onto tortillas, sprinkle with cheese and sour cream (or other desired toppings), and serve.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving without toppings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206 kcalTotal Fat: 6gSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 35g