Crockpot Orange Chicken is a simple yet super delicious dish perfect for a quick weeknight meal. With a combination of savory soy sauce, sweet orange marmalade, and tangy barbecue sauce, this dish is full of flavor.
The recipe is easy to follow and requires minimal prep time, making it a great option for busy days.
- Four Chicken Breasts: You will need four chicken breasts for this recipe. Cut them into bite-sized pieces before adding them to the crockpot.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce: This will add a savory flavor to the dish. Use two tablespoons of reduced-sodium soy sauce.
- Orange Marmalade: This gives the dish its distinctive orange flavor. You will need three-quarters of a cup of any brand of orange marmalade.
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue Sauce: This sauce adds a sweet and tangy flavor. Use three-quarters of a cup.
- Salt: This is used to enhance the flavors of the dish. Use three-quarters to one teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Pepper: This adds a bit of heat to the dish. Use half a teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Garlic Powder: This gives the dish a depth of flavor. Use one teaspoon of garlic powder.
Making The Crockpot Orange Chicken Recipe
Preparing the Chicken:
Start by cutting your chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place these pieces in your crockpot, setting it on high for one and a half to two hours. This step is crucial for ensuring the chicken is mostly cooked and ready for the next steps.
Removing the Cooking Liquid:
Once your chicken has turned opaque, indicating it is mostly cooked, remove most of the cooking liquid from the crockpot. This can be done by removing and straining all the chicken or using a spoon to scoop out the liquid. Be careful not to burn your hand during this process. Removing the cooking liquid is important as it prevents the sauce from becoming too watery.
Preparing the Sauce:
Next, prepare the sauce by adding the orange marmalade, reduced-sodium soy sauce, Sweet Baby Ray’s honey barbecue sauce, garlic powder, kosher salt, and ground black pepper into the crockpot. Mix these ingredients well until they are fully incorporated. The combination of these ingredients gives the dish its unique, flavorful taste.
Cooking the Chicken with the Sauce:
Continue cooking the chicken and sauce mixture on high for another one and a half to two hours. This allows the flavors to meld together and the sauce to coat the chicken thoroughly.
Serving the Dish:
Once the sauce has come together and coats the chicken, turn off the crockpot and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. This allows the sauce to thicken, enhancing the flavor of the dish. Serve the orange chicken with a side you choose, such as roasted broccoli or plain white rice.
Storing the Dish:
This dish makes for an excellent freezer meal if there are any leftovers. Store it in a freezer ziploc bag, and you can easily reheat it for a quick weeknight meal.
This easy and delicious Crockpot Orange Chicken recipe will surely be a hit with your family. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- Use Fresh Oranges: Add fresh orange juice or zest to the sauce for a fresher, more citrusy flavor.
- Spice it Up: If you prefer a bit of heat, add some red pepper flakes or a dash of sriracha to the sauce.
- Thicken the Sauce: If you’d like a thicker sauce, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a little water and add it to the crockpot during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Use Different Cuts of Chicken: This recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you can also use thighs or drumsticks. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Add Vegetables: For a more complete meal, add vegetables like bell peppers, snow peas, or broccoli to the crockpot during the last hour of cooking.
- Freezer Meal: This recipe is perfect for meal prep. Prepare the dish as directed, let it cool completely, and store it in freezer-safe containers. When you’re ready to eat, thaw and reheat.
- Serving Options: This dish pairs well with a variety of sides. Try it with white or brown rice, quinoa, or even noodles. For a low-carb option, serve it over cauliflower rice.
- Garnish: Sprinkle some sesame seeds or chopped green onions on top before serving for extra flavor and presentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Can I use other cuts of chicken?
How long can I store the leftovers?
Can I use a different type of marmalade or jam?
What can I serve with Crockpot Orange Chicken?
Can I add vegetables to the crockpot?
What if my sauce doesn’t thicken?
- Four Chicken Breasts
- Two tablespoons of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Three quarters of a cup of Orange Marmalade
- Three quarters of a cup of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce
- One teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- Three quarters to one teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- Half a teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and cook in the crockpot.
- Remove the majority of the cooking liquid.
- Add orange marmalade, soy sauce, barbecue sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the crockpot.
- Cook the mixture on high for another 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Let the dish sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 8gSodium: 850mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 40g