The Crockpot Pizza Dip is a crowd-pleaser that’s perfect for any gathering. This simple yet delicious recipe combines the flavors of your favorite pizza toppings into a creamy, cheesy dip. With a blend of cream cheese, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan, it’s a cheese lover’s dream.
Adding mini pepperonis gives it a savory kick, while the Italian seasoning and pizza sauce combine all the flavors. Served with toasted bread or sliced bell peppers, this dip will be a hit at your next party!
Italian Seasoning: This blend of dried herbs, typically including oregano, thyme, rosemary, and basil. It adds flavor to the dip, giving it that signature pizza taste.
Pizza Sauce: Use a jar of your favorite pizza sauce. This forms the base of your dip and gives it a rich, tomatoey flavor.
Parmesan Cheese: A heaping quarter cup of parmesan cheese is used. This cheese adds a sharp, salty flavor to the dip.
Mozzarella and Provolone Blend of Shredded Cheese: Two cups of this blend are used. These cheeses melt well and give the dip a creamy, gooey texture.
Mini Pepperonis: These are cooked in a cast iron skillet until slightly crisp before being added to the dip. They add a meaty, savory flavor.
Philadelphia Cream Cheese: An 8-ounce block of cream cheese is used. This cheese adds creaminess and tang to the dip.
Fresh Basil: Fresh basil is used as a garnish and adds a fresh, aromatic note to the dip.
Sliced Bread (Optional): This is used for serving. The bread is toasted and served on the side for dipping.
Making The Crockpot Pizza Dip
Preparing the Pepperoni:
Start by crisping up the mini pepperonis in a cast iron skillet. Cook these over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes until they are slightly crispy. This process enhances the flavor of the pepperoni, adding a delightful touch to the dip.
Combining the Ingredients:
Next, add 8 ounces of Philadelphia cream cheese to your crockpot. Follow this with two cups of a mozzarella and provolone blend, a heaping quarter cup of parmesan cheese, one teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and one jar of your favorite pizza sauce. The last ingredient to add is your cooked mini pepperonis. Be sure to avoid adding any extra grease from the cooking process. Mix all these ingredients in the crockpot.
Cooking the Dip:
Cover the crockpot with a lid once all the ingredients are well combined. Set the crockpot on low heat and let it cook for about two hours. This time allows all the flavors to blend and the cheese to melt, creating a rich and creamy dip.
Preparing the Sides:
While the dip is cooking, prepare your sides. Slice a variety of bell peppers into thin strips. You can also prepare some toasted bread slices by placing them under a broiler on low for a couple of minutes on each side.
Serving the Dip:
Once the dip is ready, give it a good stir to ensure all the cheese is well incorporated. Consider placing the crockpot liner on a large cutting board for an appealing presentation. Garnish the dip with some fresh basil for an added touch of freshness. Serve the dip with the prepared bell pepper strips and toasted bread slices. For convenience, consider placing some ramekins or small bowls next to the dip with individual serving spoons.
Tips and Variations
- Add More Toppings: Feel free to add pizza toppings to your dip. Diced bell peppers, olives, mushrooms, or cooked sausage could be great additions.
- Spice it Up: If you like a bit of heat, add red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
- Cheese Variations: You can experiment with different types of cheese. Try adding some sharp cheddar or smoked gouda for a different flavor profile.
- Bread Options: While this recipe suggests serving with toasted bread, you can also serve the dip with crackers, pretzels, or even tortilla chips.
- Fresh Herbs: Add other fresh herbs like oregano or parsley for flavor and garnish.
- Make it Vegetarian: If you’re serving vegetarians, you can omit the pepperoni and add some extra veggies.
- Use a Slow Cooker Liner: Consider using a slow cooker liner to make clean-up easier.
- Stir Occasionally: To ensure even melting and prevent burning, it’s a good idea to stir the dip occasionally while cooking.
- Watch the Cooking Time: Every slow cooker is different, so check your dip around the 1.5-hour mark to ensure it doesn’t overcook.
- Prep Ahead: You can prepare the dip a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, let it come to room temperature and heat it in the crockpot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
Can I use different types of cheese?
What else can I serve with this dip?
Can I add other pizza toppings to this dip?
Can I make this dip vegetarian?
How long will this dip stay good in the refrigerator?
Can I reheat the leftovers?
Can I use a larger crockpot for this recipe?
Can I freeze the leftover dip?
- Mini Pepperonis: 1 cup
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese: 8 ounces
- Mozzarella and Provolone Blend: 2 cups
- Parmesan Cheese: 1/4 cup
- Italian Seasoning: 1 teaspoon
- Pizza Sauce: 1 jar
- Fresh Basil: A handful
- Sliced Bread: 1 loaf
- Bell Peppers: 4 (optional)
- Crisp up mini pepperonis in a skillet.
- Combine cream cheese, mozzarella and provolone blend, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, pizza sauce, and cooked mini pepperonis in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 2 hours.
- Serve with toasted bread and sliced bell peppers. Garnish with fresh basil.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250 kcalTotal Fat: 18gSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g