Low Carb Slow Cooker Breakfast Bake is a hearty, delicious, and nutritious start to your day, packed with protein and flavor. It’s a low-carb breakfast that’s sure to satisfy is made with ground sausage, cheddar cheese, eggs, sweet red pepper, onion, and bacon. The best part? It’s all cooked in a slow cooker, making your morning hassle-free.
Just prepare the ingredients, layer them in the slow cooker, and let it work while you finish your day. You’ll have a mouthwatering breakfast bake in just two hours, perfect for a family meal or brunch with friends.
Ground Sausage: Two pounds of ground sausage. You can strip the skins off of pork sausages and use those. If you’re using a similar kind where you are, you will need one and a half of these packages.
Cheddar Cheese: Four cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Eggs: 12 large eggs.
Sweet Red Pepper: One and a half cup of chopped sweet red pepper or a capsicum.
Onion: Half a cup of chopped onion.
Salt: A teaspoon of salt.
Black Pepper: Half a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper.
Heavy Cream: Half a cup of heavy cream or pure cream.
Bacon: One package of bacon would be 12 to 14 slices.
Making The Breakfast Bake In The Slow Cooker
Cook the Bacon:
Start by cooking the bacon in a large skillet or frying pan until it’s crisp. You might need two pans depending on the amount of bacon. Once the bacon is cooked to your liking, remove it to a plate to cool. Make sure to leave the grease in the pan and keep the pan on the heat for the next steps.
Prepare the Sausage:
While the bacon is frying, remove the skins from the sausages. If you bought bulk sausage, you can skip this step.
Cook the Vegetables:
Next, add your chopped red pepper (or capsicum) and onions to the pan with the bacon grease. Stir and fry these for about three minutes until they start to soften.
Cook the Sausage:
Add the sausage to the pan with the vegetables. Break it up as it cooks until it’s nicely browned. Turn off the heat once it’s fully cooked.
Prepare the Egg Mixture:
While the sausage is cooking, crack all your eggs into a large bowl. Add the cream, salt, and pepper to the eggs and whisk everything together until the yolks are broken up and the mixture is well combined.
Crumble the Bacon:
Take the cooled bacon and crumble it up into small pieces. Try to resist eating it as you go!
Assemble the Bake:
First, layer the cooked sausage and vegetable mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker. Try to get it as even as possible. Then, add two cups of shredded cheese. Next, add the crumbled bacon, saving a small amount for the top. Pour the egg mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Finally, add the remaining two cups of cheese and sprinkle the last bacon bits on top.
Cook the Bake:
Cover the slow cooker and cook the breakfast bake on high for at least two hours. You want it to be completely done in the middle and to reach a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit or about 71 Celsius.
Serve the Bake:
After two hours, uncover the slow cooker. Be careful not to let any condensation from the lid drip into the bake. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your Mom’s Low Carb Slow Cooker Breakfast Bake!
Tips and Variations for Mom’s Low Carb Slow Cooker Breakfast Bake:
- Variety of Meats: You can substitute the sausage with other meats like ground turkey, ham, or even chicken for a different flavor profile.
- Add More Veggies: Feel free to add more vegetables to this recipe. Mushrooms, spinach, or tomatoes would be great additions.
- Cheese Variations: Try using different types of cheese for a change in flavor. Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or gouda could be delicious alternatives to cheddar.
- Spice It Up: If you like a bit of heat in your breakfast, add some chopped jalapenos or a dash of hot sauce.
- Use a Slow Cooker Liner: To make clean up easier, consider using a slow cooker liner. This will prevent the bake from sticking to the sides of your slow cooker.
- Check for Doneness: Slow cookers can vary in temperature. To ensure your breakfast bake is fully cooked, insert a knife in the center. If it comes out clean, the bake is done.
- Let It Rest: After cooking, let your breakfast bake rest for a few minutes before serving. This will make it easier to cut and serve.
- Prep Ahead: You can prepare the ingredients the night before and refrigerate them. In the morning, just layer them in the slow cooker and start cooking. This can save you a lot of time during busy mornings.
Slow Cooker Breakfast Bake
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 2 pounds of Ground Sausage
- 4 cups of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 12 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cup of chopped Sweet Red Pepper or Capsicum
- 1/2 cup of chopped Onion
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream or Pure Cream
- 1 package of Bacon (12 to 14 slices)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove and let cool.
- In the same skillet, fry chopped red pepper and onions in the bacon grease.
- Add sausage to the skillet, breaking it up as it cooks.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, and pepper.
- Crumble up the cooled bacon.
- Layer the sausage, cheese, bacon, and egg mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for at least two hours until the middle is completely done.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400 kcalTotal Fat: 30gCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 22g