Buffalo Drumsticks in Slow Cooker is a tantalizing recipe that combines the rich flavors of buffalo sauce with tender chicken legs. This dish is slow-cooked to perfection, allowing the flavors to seep in, resulting in a mouth-watering and hearty meal.
It’s an easy recipe to prepare, and the slow cooker does most of the work, making it perfect for busy days. The result is a tangy, spicy, and flavorful dish – a sure hit at your dinner table!
Chicken Legs: This is the primary protein for the dish. Chicken legs, also known as drumsticks, are used because they are tender, flavorful, and cook well in a slow cooker.
Dry White Wine: This is used to add depth and complexity to the flavor of the dish. It also helps to tenderize the chicken.
Buffalo Sauce (Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce Recommended): This is the crucial ingredient that gives the dish its buffalo flavor. The sauce is tangy spicy, and has a strong flavor that works well with chicken.
Vegetable Oil: This is used to help evenly distribute the heat during cooking and prevent the chicken from sticking to the slow cooker.
Lemon Juice: This adds a tangy flavor to the dish and helps to tenderize the chicken.
Black Pepper and Salt: These are basic seasonings that enhance the natural flavors of the chicken and other ingredients.
Minced Garlic: This adds a savory flavor that complements the spice of the buffalo sauce.
Oregano: This herb adds a hint of earthiness and a slight sweetness that balances the heat of the buffalo sauce. If you don’t have oregano, you can use fresh parsley.
Barbecue Sauce: This adds a smoky, sweet flavor that complements the spicy buffalo sauce.
Honey: This adds a sweetness that balances the heat and tang of the buffalo sauce and barbecue sauce.
How To Make Buffalo Drumsticks in Slow Cooker
Preparation of Ingredients:
Start with preparing all your ingredients. This includes cleaning the chicken legs, mincing the garlic, and measuring the buffalo sauce, vegetable oil, lemon juice, black pepper, salt, oregano, barbecue sauce, and honey.
Take a Ziploc bag and add all the ingredients along with the chicken legs. Seal the bag, ensuring all the air is squeezed out, and then mix the ingredients around to ensure the chicken is well-coated. Place this bag in the refrigerator and let it marinate for three hours.
After three hours, transfer the bag’s contents into a crock pot. Arrange the chicken legs properly and cover the pot. Cook on low for about three to four hours until the chicken is tender. Alternatively, you can cook it on high for about two hours.
Once the chicken is cooked and tender, transfer it to a serving plate. Garnish the dish with chopped green onions and fresh parsley to add a pop of color and enhance the flavors.
What To Serve With Buffalo Drumsticks
Buffalo Drumsticks can be served with a variety of sides. Here are a few suggestions:
- Celery and Carrot Sticks with Blue Cheese Dip: This is a classic pairing with any buffalo-flavored dish. The crisp vegetables and tangy dip help balance the buffalo sauce’s heat.
- Coleslaw: The creaminess and crunch of coleslaw complement the spicy and tender drumsticks.
- Corn on the Cob: This great summer dish pairs well with buffalo drumsticks. You can grill the corn for added flavor.
- Potato Salad: This is a hearty side that can stand up to the strong flavors of the buffalo drumsticks.
- Macaroni and Cheese: The rich, creamy, and cheesy macaroni helps balance the drumsticks’ spiciness.
- Baked Beans: This sweet, tangy side dish complements the spicy drumsticks well.
- French Fries or Sweet Potato Fries: These simple yet satisfying sides go well with almost any main dish.
- Green Salad: A light and refreshing salad can balance out the hearty and spicy drumsticks.
Yes, you can substitute chicken wings for drumsticks. The cooking time may vary slightly due to the size difference.
Yes, you can also make this recipe in an oven or on a stovetop. However, the cooking time and temperature will need to be adjusted accordingly.
Yes, you can use any hot sauce of your preference. However, Buffalo sauce is recommended for this recipe to get the authentic buffalo flavor.
The chicken can be marinated for 3 hours per the recipe, but for a deeper flavor, you can marinate it overnight in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can cook the drumsticks ahead of time and reheat them when ready to serve. You can also marinate the chicken and store it in the refrigerator a day ahead.
Buffalo Drumsticks can be served with various sides such as celery and carrot sticks with blue cheese dip, coleslaw, corn on the cob, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, French fries or sweet potato fries, or a green salad.
Leftover Buffalo Drumsticks can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, place them in a preheated oven at 350°F until heated through.
- Chicken Legs: 6 pieces
- Dry White Wine: 1 cup
- Buffalo Sauce: 1 cup
- Vegetable Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice: 2 tablespoons
- Black Pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Minced Garlic: 2 cloves
- Oregano: 1 teaspoon
- Barbecue Sauce: 1/2 cup
- Honey: 2 tablespoons
- Marinate chicken legs with buffalo sauce, white wine, vegetable oil, lemon juice, black pepper, salt, minced garlic, oregano, barbecue sauce, and honey in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Transfer the marinated chicken and all the sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken on a low setting for 3 to 4 hours until it becomes tender.
- Garnish the cooked chicken with freshly chopped green onions and parsley.
- Serve the slow-cooked buffalo drumsticks while hot. Enjoy your meal!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 900mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 26g