This Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole Dish is a perfect choice for those who are on a low-carb diet and want to enjoy their favorite dish without feeling guilty.
Ground Meat: So you’re gonna want two pounds, which is half a kilo, each, of ground meat. Now, the recipe calls for one ground beef and one ground pork. I’ve made it with all pork.
You could use another kind of meat if you like, as long as it’s very lean.
Cabbage: Half a head of cabbage sliced, very thinly, and chopped.
Cauliflower: Half a head of cauliflower, which I’ve just sliced as well. You could use a food processor to chop them.
Onions: One bunch of green onions or about six. Now, I haven’t gotten all six on hand, so I put just a small amount of regular onion and I’m gonna throw some celery in there as well.
Taco Seasoning: Next, we’ve got two packages of low-sodium taco seasoning.
Sauce: Next, we’re gonna use one tablespoon of Worcester sauce, and two tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce.
Beef Stock: Two cups of low sodium beef stock
Garlic Powder: 1 tablespoon each of onion powder and garlic powder.
So we’re just gonna start by browning the meat in a large pan. I am using heart-smart extra lean meat, but you can use whatever suits you.
Okay, so once it is brown, drain off any grease and add the one cup of beef stock, to which I’ve already added one teaspoon of the Worcester sauce and two tablespoons of the low sodium soy sauce.
Next, add one tablespoon each of the onion powder and the garlic powder.
Add a little bit of green onion and celery.
Add all of your cauliflower and give it a little stir.
And then we’re gonna add those two packets of the low sodium taco seasoning. If you don’t want to use package taco seasoning and prefer to make your own, that’s fine. You could just use some chili powder and cumin and whatever else you like in your taco seasoning. Stir this together.
I’ve turned down the stove a bit, so I can just bring it to a simmer and let this cook together for about 10 to 15 minutes or so.
After about 10 minutes you can see the liquids pretty well cooked away.
Making The Cabbage Casserole Roll In The Slow Cooker
Put all the chopped cabbage into the slow cooker. That’s going down in the base first. Now I’m using the slow cooker. You’re gonna put it on high once we’ve done this for about two and a half hours, but you can make this in your oven if you prefer.
So the next step now is to put the meat on top.
Spread that out and you can see it’s very full.
The last thing before we cover that is our remaining one cup of beef stock, the low sodium or no salt, in this case, just pour that over and that’ll go through the meat and sink into the bottom.
Now we’re gonna cover it, cook on high for two and a half hours.
After two and a half hours, turn it off and carefully removes the cover.
Give it a good stir, that’s gonna mix that cooked cabbage layer in with the meat.
Finally, just grab a plate and serve it up. There you go, a lazy cabbage casserole roll.
- 1 pound (500g) each of extra lean ground beef and pork
- 1 bunch of green onions (about 6 chopped)
- 1/2 head of large cauliflower (shredded)
- 1/2 large head of cabbage (sliced thinly)
- 2 packages of low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce (optional, to taste)
- 1 Tbsp each onion and garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp less sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups low sodium beef stock
- Half Salt to taste
- In a big skillet, brown the meat, then drain any excess grease.
- After that, include everything but the cabbage and 1 cup of beef stock. Mix well, then cook for 10-15 minutes, or until liquid has decreased.
- Put the cabbage in the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the prepared beef mixture on top of the cabbage. On top, pour the remaining cup of beef stock.
- Cover it, and cook on high for two and a half hours.