The Slow Cooker Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a comforting and hearty dish perfect for a cozy family dinner. This easy-to-make recipe is full of flavor with tender chicken, creamy cheese, tangy green salsa, and warming spices. It’s a delicious meal that’s sure to become a family favorite!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: You will need two pounds for this recipe. This will be the main protein of the dish.
- Green Salsa: A 16-ounce jar of store-bought green salsa is used. You can also use homemade salsa if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese: An 8-ounce block of cream cheese makes the dish creamy and rich.
- Garlic Powder: One teaspoon of garlic powder is used for flavoring.
- Dehydrated Minced Onion: One tablespoon is used. You can also substitute this with onion powder.
- Chicken Bouillon Powder: Two and a half teaspoons add more flavor to the chicken.
- Cumin Seeds and Black Peppercorns are optional but recommended for added flavor.
- Corn Tortillas: 12 corn tortillas are used in this recipe. They are cut into pieces and mixed into the casserole.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: Eight ounces of shredded pepper jack cheese is used. You can substitute this with any melty cheese that you prefer.
- Parsley and Scallions: These are used as garnish and added at the end of the cooking process.
Making The Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Season the Chicken and Start Slow Cooking: Season the chicken breast to your preference. You can use simple salt and pepper or any other rub or seasoning you prefer. Place the seasoned chicken in your 6-quart crock pot. Add the block of cream cheese and the 16 oz jar of green salsa. The cream cheese does not need to be softened and can be added cold. Cover the crock pot and set it to high. Let the ingredients cook for four hours. Let it cook for six to eight hours if you’re cooking on low.
Prep the Tortillas and Cheese: While cooking the chicken, prepare 12 corn tortillas by cutting them into pieces. Also, shred eight ounces of pepper jack cheese. You can substitute this with any melty cheese that you prefer.
Mix and Shred the Chicken: Mix everything in the crock pot after four hours of cooking. The chicken should be cooked and easy to shred at this point.
Add Tortillas and Cheese: Add the cut tortillas into the crock pot and mix them in. Then add part of the shredded cheese and mix it in. Use the rest of the shredded cheese to top the mixture.
Add More Salsa and Cheese: Pour another 8 ounces or 1 cup of green salsa over the top of the mixture in the crock pot. Then, add the rest of the shredded cheese on top.
Continue Cooking: Cover the crock pot with a lid and cook the casserole on high for another 45 minutes to an hour.
Garnish and Serve: Once the cooking is done, garnish the casserole with chopped parsley and chopped scallions. Your green chicken enchilada casserole is now ready to serve. Enjoy the rich and creamy flavors of this simple and delicious dish.
Tips and Variations for Slow Cooker Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Variety of Cheeses: You can experiment with different types of cheese for this recipe. Try using Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or a Mexican blend for different flavors.
- Add Vegetables: For a healthier twist, add vegetables like bell peppers, corn, or black beans. Just make sure to add them towards the end of the cooking time to avoid them becoming too soft.
- Spice Level: Adjust the heat to your preference. If you like your food spicy, use a hot green salsa or add some chopped jalapenos.
- Use Fresh Onion and Garlic: If you have more time, you can sauté fresh onion and garlic and add it to the slow cooker for a deeper flavor.
- Tortilla Choices: If you prefer, you can use flour tortillas instead of corn. They will give a different texture but are just as delicious.
- Garnish: Apart from parsley and scallions, you can also garnish with fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, or a dollop of sour cream.
- Cooking Time: If you’re short on time, you can cook the casserole on high for a shorter period. Conversely, cooking it on low for longer will allow the flavors to develop more if you’re not in a rush.
- Shredding the Chicken: You can use two forks to pull the chicken apart for easy shredding. If you prefer chunkier pieces, you can chop the chicken instead.
Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 2 pounds of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 16-ounce jar of Green Salsa
- 8-ounce block of Cream Cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon of Dehydrated Minced Onion
- 2.5 teaspoons of Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 8 ounces of Pepper Jack Cheese
- Parsley and Scallions for garnish
- Season the chicken and place in the slow cooker with cream cheese and green salsa.
- Cook on high for four hours or low for six to eight hours.
- Cut the corn tortillas into pieces and shred the cheese
- After four hours, mix everything and shred the chicken.
- Add the tortillas and part of the shredded cheese, mix, and add the rest on top.
- Pour another cup of green salsa over the top.
- Cover and let it cook on high for another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and scallions before serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500 kcalTotal Fat: 25gCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 40g