This BBQ Beef Slow Cooker recipe is an absolute delight for those who love the rich, smoky flavor of barbecue. It’s a versatile dish that can be served as an entree, shredded for sandwiches, or even used as a topping for baked potatoes.
The recipe is easy to follow and perfect for those busy days when you want a delicious homemade meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Beef Roast: You’ll need a beautiful beef roast for this recipe. You can find great ones at Costco that come in a package of two for about $35.
Brown Sugar: This will add a hint of sweetness to your BBQ rub. You’ll need ¼ cup.
Chili Powder: This spice adds heat to the rub. The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon, but you can adjust to taste.
Ground Mustard: This adds a tangy flavor to the rub. You’ll need 1 tablespoon.
Salt: A basic seasoning that enhances the flavor of the beef. Use 1 teaspoon.
Pepper: Adds a bit of heat and flavor. Use 1 teaspoon.
Garlic Powder: This will add a savory element to your rub. Use ½ a teaspoon.
Onion Powder: Another savory spice for the rub. Use ½ a teaspoon.
Apple Cider Vinegar: This will add acidity to the rub. You’ll need a quarter cup.
Worcestershire Sauce: This adds a savory, umami flavor to the rub. Use 2 tablespoons.
Liquid Smoke (Hickory Flavor): This will give your beef a smoky flavor. Use 1 teaspoon.
Tomato Paste: This thickens the rub and adds a rich tomato flavor. Use 3 tablespoons.
Red Onion: This will be used as a bed for the roast in the crock pot. You’ll need one, sliced.
Russet Potatoes: You can make baked potatoes in the crock pot at the same time as the roast. You’ll need four medium-sized ones.
Olive Oil: This is used to drizzle over the potatoes before they’re wrapped and placed in the crock pot.
Salt and Pepper: These are used to season the potatoes.
Making The BBQ Beef Slow Cooker Recipe
Prepare the BBQ Rub: Start by mixing the brown sugar, chili powder, ground mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Make sure to taste your spice mixture at this point as chili powder can vary in its taste and spiciness. Adjust according to your preference.
Add Wet Ingredients: To your dry spice mix, add the apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and tomato paste. Stir all the ingredients together to form a wet rub.
Prepare the Onion: Slice one red onion. This will serve as a bed for your roast in the crock pot.
Prepare the Beef Roast: Trim up the beef roast, removing any extra fat and gristle. It’s important to remove these as they can affect your finished meal’s overall taste and texture.
Layer the Crock Pot: Make a bottom layer with the sliced red onions in the crock pot. Then, place the trimmed beef roast on top of the onions. Finally, cover the beef completely with the homemade BBQ wet rub.
Prepare the Potatoes: Choose four medium-sized russet potatoes. Drizzle each potato with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each potato in a sheet of parchment paper, twisting the ends to close.
Add the Potatoes to the Crock Pot: Place the wrapped potatoes on top of the roast in the crock pot.
Cook: Cover the crock pot and cook everything on the low for about 8 hours.
Serve: When ready, unwrap the baked potatoes and remove the roast. You can serve the BBQ beef as an entree, shred it in sandwiches, or serve it on top of the baked potatoes. Enjoy your homemade BBQ Beef Slow Cooker meal!
Tips & Variations for the BBQ Beef Slow Cooker Recipe:
- Taste Your Rub: Always taste your BBQ rub before applying it to the meat. Adjust the spices according to your preference.
- Trim the Fat: Make sure to trim off any excess fat from the beef roast. This will give you a leaner, more flavorful result.
- Slow Cooking Time: Slow cooking is the key to a tender BBQ beef. Don’t rush the process. Let it cook on low for about 8 hours for the best result.
- Rest the Meat: Once cooked, let the meat rest for a few minutes before shredding or slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the roast, making it even more flavorful.
- Different Meats: You can try this recipe with different types of meat like pork or chicken. The cooking time might vary depending on the type and size of the meat.
- Spice it Up: If you prefer a spicier kick, add more chili powder or include a bit of cayenne pepper in your rub.
- Vegetable Add-Ins: Feel free to add other vegetables to the crock pot like carrots or celery for added flavor and nutrition.
- BBQ Sauce: If you want a saucier BBQ beef, you can add your favorite BBQ sauce to the pot during the last hour of cooking.
BBQ Beef Slow Cooker
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 1 Beef Roast
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (Hickory Flavor)
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Red Onion
- 4 medium-sized Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper for seasoning
- Mix dry spices and add wet ingredients to form a BBQ rub.
- Slice onion and place in crock pot.
- Trim beef roast and place on top of onions.
- Cover beef with BBQ rub.
- Prepare potatoes, wrap in parchment paper, and place on top of roast.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 600kcalTotal Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 800mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 50g