Our Chicken Enchilada Soup is the perfect comfort food for those chilly winter days. This soup is made in a crock pot, with flavors from succulent chicken, hearty beans, sweet corn, and a savory enchilada sauce. It’s a simple and easy recipe that will become a favorite in your household.
Two large chicken breasts: These are the primary protein source of the soup. You can substitute with chicken thighs or any other chicken parts you prefer.
Garlic powder adds a nice, mild garlic flavor to the soup.
Oregano: This herb adds a warm, savory flavor to the soup.
Salt and Pepper: These are basic seasonings that enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
Minced garlic provides a more robust, intense garlic flavor than garlic powder.
Red Enchilada Sauce: This sauce is the primary flavor base for the soup. You can use a canned version or make your own.
New Mexico dried chilies are optional, but they add a smoky, spicy flavor to the enchilada sauce if you’re making it from scratch.
Low-sodium Chicken broth: This is the liquid base of the soup. The low-sodium version allows you to control the salt level of your soup.
14-ounce can of no salt added stewed tomatoes: These add a nice texture and mild sweetness to the soup.
Pinto Beans or Black Beans add a hearty element to the soup. You can use either type, depending on your preference.
Canned or frozen corn adds a sweet, crunchy component to the soup.
How To Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
Gather All Your Ingredients
Start by gathering all your ingredients. This will make the cooking process smoother and faster.
Prepare the Crock Pot
Next, get your crock pot ready. Make sure it is clean and functioning properly.
Add Ingredients to the Crock Pot
Now, add all your ingredients to the crock pot. Start with the chicken, then add the spices, minced garlic, enchilada sauce, broth, tomatoes, beans, and corn.
Stir the Ingredients
Stir all the ingredients together using a spatula (preferably red or stainless steel to avoid staining). Make sure everything is well-mixed and evenly distributed.
Set the Crock Pot
Set your crock pot to low and let it cook for about 6 to 8 hours. This slow cooking process will allow all the flavors to meld together and the chicken to become tender.
Check on Your Soup
After about six hours, check on your soup. You can proceed to the next step if the chicken is cooked and tender.
Shred the Chicken
Once the chicken is cooked, shred it out of the soup. You can do this using two forks. Once shredded, add it back into the soup and stir.
Serve the Soup
It’s ready to serve after shredding the chicken and mixing it into the soup. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with tortillas on the side.
Finally, add your preferred toppings. Suggestions include shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and slices of avocado. A wedge of lime would also be an excellent addition for a tangy kick.
Enjoy Your Soup
Now, your Chicken Enchilada Soup is ready. Enjoy this hearty, comforting meal, especially on those cold, snowy days.
What to serve with Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken Enchilada Soup is a versatile dish that pairs well with various sides. Here are some suggestions on what to serve with it:
- Tortillas: Warm flour or corn tortillas are perfect for dipping into the soup and filling the meal.
- Mexican Rice: This flavorful side dish complements the soup and makes for a heartier meal.
- Cornbread: A slice of sweet, moist cornbread can be a delightful contrast to the savory soup.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich soup.
- Guacamole and Chips: These classic Mexican sides can add a nice crunch and creaminess.
- Refried Beans: A side of creamy refried beans would pair well with the soup, adding another layer of Mexican flavor.
- Quesadillas: Cheese quesadillas can be a great side, adding a cheesy, crispy element to your meal.
Yes, you can substitute the chicken with other meat like turkey or beef.
Yes, you can replace the chicken with beans, tofu, or vegetables and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Yes, fresh tomatoes can be used. However, the flavor may differ slightly, as canned tomatoes usually have added seasonings.
Absolutely! This soup freezes well. Just let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers.
This soup can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Yes, you can cook this soup on the stovetop. However, you’ll need to adjust the cooking time as it will cook faster on the stovetop than in a crock pot.
Yes, add other vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or carrots to make the soup more hearty.
If you don’t have enchilada sauce, you can make a simple version home using tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, and oregano.
The spice level of this soup depends on the enchilada sauce you use. If you prefer a less spicy soup, choose a mild enchilada sauce.
Yes, but remember that dried beans must be soaked overnight and cooked before adding to the soup. Canned beans are more convenient as they are already cooked.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 2 New Mexico dried chilies (optional)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz) no salt added stewed tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans or black beans
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- Add chicken breasts, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, minced garlic, enchilada sauce, New Mexico dried chilies, chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, beans, and corn to the crock pot.
- Gently stir all ingredients, ensuring everything is well mixed and evenly distributed.
- Set your crock pot to low and let it simmer for 6 to 8 hours, allowing all the flavors to blend beautifully.
- After about six hours, check your soup. If the chicken is cooked and tender, remove it from the soup.
- Shred the cooked chicken using two forks, then stir it back into the soup, mixing well.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, serving it hot and fresh from the crock pot.
- Top your soup with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and slices of avocado. Add a wedge of lime for an extra tangy kick. Enjoy your hearty and delicious Chicken Enchilada Soup!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300 kcalTotal Fat: 8gSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g