The Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup is a delightful blend of ground sirloin, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and cheese. This soup is not just a meal; it’s a comforting experience.
Perfect for colder months, it warms you from the inside out. The recipe is easy to follow, and the soup is cooked in a crock pot, giving you more time to relax and enjoy the day. The result is a hearty, creamy, and satisfying soup that will make you look forward to mealtime.
You can use any mixed vegetable you want. This recipe mixes peas, carrots, corn, green beans, and lima beans. Feel free to customize this to your preference.
The recipe calls for lean ground beef (90/10 ratio). This ensures that the soup remains light while still giving you the hearty flavor of beef.
Used to add creaminess to the soup. Whole milk ensures a rich and creamy texture.
This is a thickening agent for the soup, giving it a nice, hearty consistency.
This forms the base of the soup. It adds an excellent savory depth to the soup.
Chopped finely, it adds a slight sweetness and flavor to the soup.
These are diced and used as the main vegetable in the soup.
Dry Basil & Dry Parsley:
These herbs add a lovely aromatic touch to the soup.
This is chopped into chunks and added to the soup for a creamy, cheesy flavor.
Minced and chopped, they add a lovely garlicky flavor to the soup.
How To Make Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup
Step 1: Preparing the Ground Beef:
Start by adding your ground beef to a preheated pan. Along with the beef, add your chopped onions. Cook this mixture until the onions are soft and the beef is brown. Add some kosher salt and pepper to enhance the flavor and mix it well.
Step 2: Draining the Liquid:
Once the beef and onions are cooked, turn off the heat and drain the liquid from the pan.
Step 3: Adding the Garlic:
In the same pan, add your minced and chopped garlic cloves. Fry them for about two to three minutes until you get a fragrant aroma.
Step 4: Preparing the Crock Pot:
Transfer your cooked beef mixture to the crock pot. Next, add your diced potatoes, chicken broth, mixed vegetables, basil, and parsley. Stir everything together to ensure the ingredients are well combined.
Step 5: Cooking the Soup:
Cover the crock pot and cook for six to eight hours on low or three to four hours on high. Remember to stir occasionally to make sure all the flavors are mixed.
Step 6: Adding Milk and Cornstarch:
Combine your milk and cornstarch in a separate bowl and whisk them together. This mixture will be added to the soup later to thicken it.
Step 7: Finalizing the Soup:
After the soup has cooked for the appropriate amount of time, add the milk and cornstarch mixture to the crock pot. Also, begin to drop in chunks of Velveeta cheese. Stir the soup until all the cheese has melted.
Step 8: Serving:
Once the cheese has fully melted and the soup has reached your desired consistency, it is ready to serve. Pour the soup into bowls and enjoy this creamy, hearty meal.
What To Serve With Hamburger Potato Soup
- Garlic Bread or Baguette: The rich flavors of garlic bread or a crusty baguette perfectly complement the soup’s creamy texture.
- Side Salad: A light, fresh salad balances the hearty soup. It could be a simple green salad or something more elaborate like a Caesar or Greek salad.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: A classic pairing with any soup, a grilled cheese sandwich would provide a satisfying crunch with the creamy soup.
- Roasted Vegetables: For a healthier side, consider roasting some of your favorite vegetables. The caramelization from roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables, which pairs well with the savory soup.
- Cornbread: This is a classic pairing with any hearty soup. The sweet and crumbly bread complements the creamy and savory soup perfectly.
Remember, the best sides for Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup can balance its rich, hearty flavors and provide a contrasting texture.
Yes, you can substitute the ground sirloin with ground turkey, chicken, or even sausage. The flavor profile will change slightly depending on the meat you use.
Yes, you can skip the meat and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make a vegetarian version of this soup. You can also add more vegetables or some beans for extra protein.
Absolutely! This soup freezes well. Just let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
You can reheat the soup on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated. If reheating from frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Yes, feel free to use any vegetables you prefer or have on hand. This soup is very versatile and can accommodate a variety of vegetables.
Yes, you can use fresh herbs. Generally, you will need to use about three times the amount of fresh herbs as dry since dried herbs have a more concentrated flavor.
This Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
- Mixed Vegetables: 2 cups
- Ground Sirloin: 1.5 lbs
- Whole Milk: 1.5 cups
- Corn Starch: 2 tablespoons
- Chicken Broth: 6 cups
- White Onion: 1, finely chopped
- Russet Potatoes: 6 cups, diced
- Dry Basil: 2 teaspoons
- Dry Parsley: 2 tablespoons
- Velveeta Cheese: 8 ounces
- Garlic Cloves: 2, minced
- Brown the ground sirloin with finely chopped onions in a skillet over medium heat until the meat is fully cooked and the onions are translucent.
- Drain any excess fat from the skillet and add minced garlic to the beef and onion mixture, cooking for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Transfer the beef, onions, and garlic into the crock pot and add diced russet potatoes, chicken broth, mixed vegetables, dried basil, and dried parsley, stirring to combine.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until the potatoes are tender.
- Whisk together whole milk and cornstarch, then pour into the crock pot, stirring well to incorporate.
- Cut the Velveeta cheese into chunks and add to the crock pot, stirring until the cheese is completely melted and the soup is creamy.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with your choice of toppings, such as shredded cheese, green onions, or crispy bacon bits. Enjoy your comforting bowl of Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 800mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 20g