This Crockpot Bell Pepper Beef recipe is a simple yet flavorful dish perfect for a quick family dinner. With a mix of bell peppers, beef, and an array of spices, this recipe is easy to put together and cooks in your crockpot while you go about your day. Serve it over white rice and garnish with cilantro for a delicious meal that’s sure to impress!
Beef: About 2 pounds of stir-fry beef or strip beef. You can use any cut of beef that you prefer, but make sure not to overcook it.
Reduced Sodium Beef Broth: 1 can. This is used to add flavor to the dish. If you use regular beef broth, it might make the dish a bit salty.
Cilantro: Used for garnishing at the end.
Garlic: 3 cloves. They are added whole to give a mellow garlic flavor.
Bell Peppers: 4 pieces. Two red and two green bell peppers are used, sliced into long, thin strips. You can cut them into bigger pieces if you prefer.
Light Brown Sugar: 4 teaspoons. This is used to add a bit of sweetness to the dish.
Ground Ginger: This adds flavor to the sauce. Use a quarter of a teaspoon.
Black Pepper: Half a teaspoon. Used to add a bit of heat to the dish.
Garlic Powder: Half a teaspoon. This is in addition to the garlic cloves to enhance the garlic flavor.
Soy Sauce: 6 tablespoons of reduced-sodium soy sauce. You can use regular soy sauce if you prefer.
Cornstarch: A heaping tablespoon. This is used to thicken the sauce. Mix it with water and add it towards the end of the cooking time.
Water: About a third of a cup. Used to mix with the cornstarch.
Making The Crockpot Bell Pepper Beef
Prepare the Garlic: Start by peeling your three cloves of garlic. Instead of chopping them, smash them with the side of your knife. This will give your dish a mellow garlic flavor. Add the whole cloves to the crockpot.
Chop the Bell Peppers: Next, chop your four bell peppers into long, thin strips. You can choose the size of the pieces according to your preference. Add these strips to the crockpot.
Add the Beef: Now, add your strips of beef to the crockpot. If your beef is not already in strip form, slice it up before adding it. Remember, you can use any cut of beef that you prefer for this recipe.
Add the Flavorings: It’s time to add your flavorings. Start with the can of reduced-sodium beef broth, followed by the reduced-sodium soy sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, ground ginger, and light brown sugar. Give everything a good mix to combine the flavors.
Cook the Mixture: Cover your crockpot and set it to cook on low for four to five hours. The exact time will depend on the size of your beef strips.
Thicken the Sauce (Optional): If you find your sauce too thin after four hours, you can thicken it using a cornstarch slurry. Mix a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch with about a third cup of water. Add this mixture to the crockpot and let it cook on low for another 30 minutes.
Serve the Dish: Your bell pepper beef is now ready to serve. Spoon it over white rice and garnish with a sprinkling of cilantro for a delicious, easy dinner.
Tips and Variations:
- Use Different Cuts of Beef: While this recipe calls for stir-fried beef or strip beef, you can experiment with different cuts. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Add More Veggies: Feel free to add more vegetables like onions, mushrooms, or even some sliced zucchini for added nutrition and flavor.
- Spice It Up: If you like your food spicy, consider adding some crushed red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno to the crockpot.
- Swap the Protein: Not a fan of beef? You can easily substitute it with chicken or tofu.
- Thicken the Sauce: If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can increase the amount of cornstarch. Just remember to mix it with cold water before adding to avoid lumps.
- Serve It Differently: While this dish is typically served over white rice, you can also try it with brown rice, quinoa, or even noodles.
- Meal Prep: This dish is excellent for meal prepping. You can make a large batch and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Use Fresh Ginger: If you have fresh ginger on hand, you can grate some and use it instead of ground ginger for a more robust flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different cut of beef for this recipe?
Can I add other vegetables to this dish?
Can I make this dish spicy?
Can I use chicken instead of beef?
Can I use fresh ginger instead of ground ginger?
What should I serve this dish with?
Can I use regular soy sauce instead of reduced-sodium soy sauce?
How can I thicken the sauce?
- 2 pounds of beef
- 1 can of reduced sodium beef broth
- Cilantro for garnish
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 bell peppers
- 4 teaspoons of light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/3 cup of water
- Peel and smash three garlic cloves, and add to crockpot.
- Chop four bell peppers into strips and add to crockpot.
- Add strips of beef to the crockpot.
- Add flavorings: beef broth, soy sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, ground ginger, and light brown sugar. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Optional: Thicken sauce with a cornstarch slurry. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 6g