This Easy Crockpot Chicken Molè recipe is a simple and flavorful dish that combines the richness of a ready-made mole sauce with the savory notes of Mexican chocolate and a blend of spices.
The chicken is slow-cooked to perfection in the crockpot, while a side of chicken rice adds a comforting touch.
This recipe is perfect for a delicious home-cooked meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast (2 pounds): This is the recipe’s main ingredient. The chicken will be slow-cooked in the crockpot with the mole sauce and other ingredients.
Granulated Onion Powder (1 teaspoon): This enhances the flavor of the chicken and the mole sauce.
Granulated Garlic Powder (1 teaspoon): This is also used to enhance the flavor of the chicken and the mole sauce.
Smoked Paprika (1/4 teaspoon): This gives a smoky flavor to the dish.
Salt (1 teaspoon): This is used to season the chicken and the mole sauce.
Cracked Black Pepper (1/2 teaspoon): This is used to season the chicken and the mole sauce.
Diced Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (1 tablespoon): This gives a spicy flavor to the mole sauce.
Mexican Chocolate (1 or 2 pieces): This is used to sweeten the mole sauce. The quantity can be adjusted according to personal preference.
Peanut Butter (2 tablespoons): This is used to thicken and enrich the flavor of the mole sauce.
Ready-Made Mole Sauce (1 container): This forms the base of the mole sauce. It is doctored up with the other ingredients.
Crockpot Chicken Molè EASY
Making The Crockpot Chicken Mole
Preparing the Chicken and Mole Sauce:
Start by adding the chicken to a 4.5-quart crock pot. Add the granulated onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and cracked black pepper. Then, add the diced chipotle peppers.
Mix everything. Now, add the Mexican chocolate and peanut butter. Finally, add the entire container of ready-made mole sauce. No additional liquid is required as the chicken will produce its natural juices.
Set the crock pot to high and let it cook for four hours. You can set it to low and let it cook for six to eight hours.
Mixing the Ingredients:
After about three and a half hours, open the crock pot and mix everything. The Mexican chocolate should have softened by now. Mix it into the sauce and let it continue cooking until the chicken is tender.
Preparing the Chicken Rice:
While the chicken is cooking, start preparing the chicken rice. In a preheated pan, add the cooking oil. Then, add the long-grain rice and toast it over medium-low heat. Add the dehydrated minced onion, chicken bouillon powder, and granulated garlic powder.
Mix everything and warm through the dry spices and seasonings. Add a bit of dried parsley and mix again. Once the rice is toasty and the dried seasonings are warmed through, add the water. If you prefer, you can replace the chicken bouillon powder and water with chicken broth.
Then, bring everything to a gentle boil and simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 15 to 18 minutes.
After that, turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes without lifting the lid. After 10 minutes, lift the lid, fluff the rice, and serve.
Finishing the Chicken:
After a little over four hours, the chicken should be done. Mix everything with tongs and then cut the chicken into chunks or pieces using kitchen shears. If you prefer shredded chicken, you can let it cook for an extra 30 minutes. Your Crockpot Chicken Molè is now ready to be enjoyed.
Tips and Variations:
- Using Different Proteins: You can replace the chicken with other proteins like turkey, pork, or even tofu for a vegetarian version.
- Adding Vegetables: Feel free to add some vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or carrots for extra nutrition.
- Spice Level Adjustment: If you want a spicier mole, you can add more chipotle peppers or a dash of cayenne pepper. If you prefer it less spicy, reduce or omit the chipotle peppers.
- Chocolate Variations: If you cannot find Mexican chocolate, you can substitute it with dark chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Using Homemade Mole Sauce: If you have more time, you can make your own mole sauce from scratch for a more authentic flavor.
- Cooking Time Adjustment: If you prefer your chicken to be more shredded, you can extend the cooking time in the crockpot.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish pairs well with tortillas, beans, or a fresh salad. You can also garnish it with sesame seeds or fresh cilantro for extra flavor and presentation.
- Storing and Reheating: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat, adding a little water or chicken broth if necessary to thin the sauce.
- Freezing: This dish freezes well. You can freeze it in portion-sized containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is mole sauce?
Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe?
Can I make this recipe spicier?
What can I use if I can’t find Mexican chocolate?
Can I make my own mole sauce from scratch?
How long can I store the leftovers?
What can I serve with this dish?
Crockpot Chicken Mole
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 or 2 pieces Mexican chocolate
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 container ready made mole sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- A little bit dried parsley
- 3 cups water
- Add chicken and spices to crockpot.
- Add Mexican chocolate, peanut butter, and mole sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Prepare chicken rice separately.
- Mix ingredients in crockpot after 3.5 hours.
- Cut chicken into chunks or shred.
- Serve with chicken rice.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550 kcalTotal Fat: 20gCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 5gProtein: 50g