Welcome to our Crockpot Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken recipe. This dish perfectly blends hearty chicken, creamy sauce, and flavorful herbs. It’s a dump-and-go recipe that’s ideal for busy weeknights.
The chicken is slow-cooked in a creamy tomato sauce with a hint of basil, resulting in a mouth-watering dish that’s sure to become a family favorite. Serve it over pasta and top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese for a complete meal.
- Chicken Breast: This recipe requires one and a half to two pounds of chicken breast. This will be the main protein source in the dish.
- Heavy Cream: This will add a creamy texture to the dish. You’ll need three-quarters of a cup.
- Diced Tomatoes with Italian Herbs: A 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs will add a flavorful touch. Look for a can that includes basil, garlic, and oregano.
- Cornstarch: Two tablespoons of cornstarch will be used to thicken the sauce.
- Minced Garlic: Add two teaspoons to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Tomato Sauce: You’ll need three-quarters of a cup of tomato sauce to add to the dish’s richness.
- Dried Basil: This will be used to add a hint of flavor. The quantity can be adjusted as per taste.
- Garlic Powder: This will enhance the garlic flavor. Use as per taste.
- Salt and Pepper: These will be used for seasoning. Add as per taste.
- Fresh Basil: This will be used as a garnish to add a fresh touch.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese: This will be used as a topping. Add as per taste.
Making The Crockpot Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
Combine Ingredients: Begin by combining all the ingredients in your crockpot. Start with the diced tomatoes, then add the tomato sauce, minced garlic, dried oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and kosher salt. Mix them well to ensure all the flavors blend.
Prepare Cream Mixture: In a separate bowl, mix three quarters of a cup of heavy cream with two tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir this mixture until it’s completely combined.
Add Cream Mixture: Pour the cream and cornstarch mixture into the crockpot with the other ingredients. Stir well to combine. This mixture will give the sauce a creamy and thick texture.
Add Chicken: Now, lay the chicken breasts in the sauce in the crockpot. Make sure the chicken breasts are well coated with the sauce to ensure they soak up all the flavors.
Cook: Cover the crockpot and set it to cook on low for four to five hours. This slow cooking process will allow the flavors to meld together and the chicken to become tender and flavorful.
Prepare for Serving: When you’re ready to serve the dish, prepare your pasta and fresh basil. The pasta will serve as the base for the chicken and sauce, while the fresh basil will add a fresh and aromatic touch to the dish.
Serve: Uncover the crockpot and shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Serve the chicken and sauce over the cooked pasta, sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, and garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy your delicious and hearty Crockpot Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken.
Tips and Variations:
- Use Different Proteins: If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can substitute it with turkey breast or beef. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Add Veggies: For a more wholesome meal, add vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach to the crockpot. They’ll add extra flavor and nutrients to the dish.
- Spice It Up: Add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the sauce if you like spicy food.
- Use Fresh Tomatoes: If you have fresh tomatoes on hand, you can use them instead of canned. Just be sure to dice them and cook them down before adding them to the crockpot.
- Try Different Herbs: While basil is a classic pairing with tomato, experiment with other herbs like thyme or rosemary for a different flavor profile.
- Make It Creamier: Add more heavy cream or cream cheese if you prefer a creamier sauce.
- Thicken the Sauce: If you find the sauce too thin, make a cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with a bit of cold water) and stir it into the sauce towards the end of cooking to thicken it.
- Serve Over Different Bases: While pasta is a classic choice, this chicken would be deliciously served over rice, quinoa, or baked potato.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Can I cook this on high instead of low?
Can I freeze this dish?
What can I serve with this dish?
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Can I add other vegetables to this dish?
What can I do if the sauce is too thin?
- 1.5-2 lbs chicken breast
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup of tomato sauce
- Dried basil to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Shredded parmesan cheese for topping
- Combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, minced garlic, dried oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and kosher salt in the crockpot.
- Mix heavy cream with cornstarch separately and add to the crockpot.
- Add chicken breasts to the crockpot and coat them with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Serve over pasta, garnish with fresh basil and shredded parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 30g