This Crockpot Mississippi Chicken dish is a flavorful, slow-cooked delight perfect for those busy weeknights when you want a comforting meal without the hassle. This dish will surely become a family favorite with tender chicken, a tangy ranch and gravy mix, and a kick of pepperoncini.
- Crock Pot: This is the main cooking appliance for this recipe. It’s a slow cooker that allows the ingredients to simmer for a long period, thus enhancing the flavors.
- Chicken Breast (2 pounds): This is the main protein for this dish. The chicken is cooked slowly in the crockpot, making it tender and flavorful.
- Ranch Seasoning Packet: This provides a tangy, creamy flavor that complements the chicken well.
- Chicken Broth (1 cup): This is used as a liquid base for the dish, adding depth and flavor to the chicken.
- Au Jus Gravy Mix: This savory gravy mix adds a rich, meaty flavor.
- Unsalted Butter (3 tablespoons): This adds a creamy, rich flavor to the dish and helps to thicken the sauce.
- Pepperoncinis: These are mild, tangy peppers that add a bit of heat and a unique flavor to the dish.
Making The Crockpot Mississippi Chicken
Prepare the Crock Pot: Start by laying your chicken breast in the bottom of your crock pot. No need to grease the pot; the chicken will come out fine.
Add Au Jus Gravy Mix: Pour your au jus gravy mix all over the chicken. This will create a savory coating for the chicken.
Add Ranch Seasoning Mix: Sprinkle your ranch seasoning mix over the chicken. Initially, it may seem like there’s not enough liquid, but rest assured, this will make an incredible gravy and flavorful.
Add Chicken Broth: Pour in about one cup of low-sodium chicken broth. This will add a depth of flavor and help to create a delicious gravy.
Add Butter: Add three tablespoons of unsalted butter to the chicken. As the butter melts, it will add a rich, creamy flavor.
Add Pepperoncinis: Now, it’s time for the pepperoncinis. Add whole pepperoncini and a tablespoon of the juice for a tangy kick.
Cook the Chicken: Cover your crock pot and cook it on low for six hours. The flavors will meld together during this time, and the chicken will become incredibly tender.
Shred the Chicken: After six hours, your chicken will be so tender that it will easily shred with two forks. Shred the chicken right in the crock pot, allowing it to soak up all the flavorful juices.
Stir and Serve: Stir the shredded chicken with the juices in the pot. Then, serve it over mashed potatoes and steamed baby carrots, drizzling some of the sauce. Add a sprinkle of cilantro for garnish, and your delicious Crockpot Mississippi Chicken will be enjoyed!
Tips and Variations
- Chicken Variations: You can use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast for a richer flavor. If you prefer, you can also use a mix of both.
- Ranch Seasoning: If you don’t have a packet of ranch seasoning, you can make your own by combining dried parsley, dill weed, garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion flakes, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Spice it up: Add some crushed red pepper flakes or jalapeno slices to the crock pot if you like spicy food.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add vegetables like sliced onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish goes well with a variety of sides. Mashed potatoes and steamed carrots are classic choices, but you can also serve them with rice, quinoa, or a fresh green salad.
- Leftovers: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for 3-4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Freezing: This dish freezes well. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to freezer-safe containers or zip-top bags. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- Slow Cooker Size: This recipe works best in a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker. You may need to adjust the cooking time if your slow cooker is smaller or larger.
- Cooking Time: Remember that every slow cooker cooks at a slightly different rate. Start checking the chicken for doneness around the 5-hour mark.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of chicken?
Can I make this recipe in an Instant Pot?
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
How can I make this recipe spicier?
Can I freeze the leftovers?
How long will leftovers last in the refrigerator?
What can I serve with this dish?
Can I use homemade ranch seasoning?
Can I add vegetables to this recipe?
- 2 pounds of chicken breast
- 1 packet of ranch seasoning
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 packet of au jus gravy mix
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 jar of pepperoncinis
- Lay chicken in the crock pot.
- Pour au jus gravy mix over the chicken.
- Sprinkle ranch seasoning mix.
- Add chicken broth.
- Top with unsalted butter.
- Add whole pepperoncinis.
- Cook on low for six hours.
- Shred the chicken in the pot.
- Stir and serve with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 15gSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 40g