This Easy BBQ Chopped Beef Recipe is a game-changer for those busy days when you want a delicious, hearty meal without the fuss. Using a slow cooker, you can create tender, flavorful chopped beef that’s perfect for sandwiches.
With the right blend of spices and a few simple steps, you’ll have a meal that’s not only satisfying but also freezer-friendly. Whether you’re planning for the week ahead or need a quick dinner solution, this recipe is a fantastic option.
Beef Brisket: You’ll need a 3-pound beef brisket flat. This is the main ingredient for the recipe. If it’s frozen, make sure it’s completely thawed before using.
Dark Brown Sugar: Four packed tablespoons of this will create a sweet and rich flavor in the spice mix.
Chili Powder: Two tablespoons of this will provide the beef brisket with a smoky and spicy flavor.
Smoked Paprika: One tablespoon of this will enhance the smoky flavor of the brisket.
Garlic Powder: One tablespoon of this will add a savory depth to the spice mix.
Salt-Free Lemon Pepper: One tablespoon will add a zesty and peppery note to the brisket.
Beefy Onion Soup Dry Mix: One package will provide the brisket with a beefy and onion flavor. This is a convenient way to add flavor when slow-cooking meats.
Apple Cider Vinegar: One tablespoon will add a tangy flavor to the beef brisket.
Ketchup: Three-quarters of a cup will be mixed with the spice mix to create a barbecue sauce for the brisket.
Making The EASY BBQ Chopped Beef
Create the Spice Mix: Create a spice mix using dark brown sugar, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt-free lemon pepper, and beefy onion soup dry mix. This unique combination of spices will give your beef brisket a rich, smoky, and savory flavor.
Prepare the Beef: Place a three-pound beef brisket flat into your crock pot. Make sure it’s completely thawed before using. Cut the meat into chunks to fit into your crock pot if necessary.
Season the Beef: Add the dry seasoning mix to the beef in the crock pot. This will ensure the beef is well-coated and absorb all the flavors as it cooks.
Add Vinegar and Ketchup: Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and three-quarters of a cup of ketchup to the crock pot. This will add a tangy flavor to the beef and create a barbecue sauce as it cooks.
Cook the Beef: Cover the crock pot with a lid and set it to high. Allow the beef to slow cook for around 5-6 hours, or until it is tender.
Check the Beef: After about five hours, check the beef. It may still be firm in the thickest part. If this is the case, flip it over and allow it to continue cooking for another hour.
Remove and Rest: Once the beef is tender, remove it from the crock pot and let it rest for about 15 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it even more tender and flavorful.
Chop the Beef: After the beef has rested, slice it into chunks and then chop it into smaller pieces. Mix in a little bit of fat for added flavor if desired.
Mix with Remaining Liquid: Instead of pouring the liquid back into a bowl, mix the chopped beef into the crock pot and mix it with the remaining liquid. This will keep the beef moist and flavorful.
Serve or Store: You can now serve the chopped beef on a bun for a delicious sandwich. Alternatively, you can freeze the chopped beef in individual portions for easy meal prep in the future.
Tips and Variations:
- Experiment with Different Cuts of Meat: While this recipe uses a beef brisket flat, you could also use a chuck roast or shoulder roast. These cuts of meat are also well-suited to slow cooking and can provide a different flavor and texture.
- Adjust the Spice Mix: Feel free to adjust the spice mix to suit your taste. If you prefer a smokier flavor, consider adding more smoked paprika. If you like your BBQ on the spicier side, add more chili powder or even a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Add Vegetables: For added flavor and texture, consider adding chopped onions, bell peppers, or even jalapenos to the slow cooker. They’ll cook down and become tender, adding a nice contrast to the chopped beef.
- Use a Different Sauce: If you don’t have ketchup on hand or prefer a different flavor, you can substitute it with your favorite BBQ sauce. This will give your chopped beef a unique flavor depending on the sauce you choose.
- Make Ahead and Freeze: This recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can make a large batch, portion it out, and freeze it for future meals. When you’re ready to eat, simply thaw and reheat.
- Serving Suggestions: While this chopped beef is delicious on its own, you can also use it as a filling for tacos or burritos, serve it over rice or mashed potatoes, or use it as a topping for nachos. The possibilities are endless!
Can I cook this on low instead of high?
Can I freeze the leftover chopped beef?
What can I serve with this BBQ chopped beef?
Do I need to add liquid to the crock pot?
Can I use this recipe for a larger brisket?
BBQ Chopped Beef
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 3-pound beef brisket flat
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt-free lemon pepper
- 1 package of beefy onion soup dry mix
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup of ketchup
- Begin by creating a spice mix using dark brown sugar, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt-free lemon pepper, and beefy onion soup dry mix.
- Place a three-pound beef brisket flat into your crock pot.
- Add all of the dry seasoning mix to the beef in the crock pot along with apple cider vinegar and ketchup.
- Cover the crock pot with a lid and set it to high. Allow the beef to slow cook for around 5-6 hours, or until it is tender.
- Once the beef is tender, remove it from the crock pot and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- After the beef has rested, slice it into chunks and then chop it into smaller pieces.
- Add the chopped beef back into the crock pot and mix it with the remaining liquid.
- Serve the chopped beef on a bun for a delicious sandwich or freeze it in individual portions for easy meal prep in the future.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 10gCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 50g