The Glazed Chicken Thighs Slow Cooker Recipe is a delectable dish that combines the savory flavors of chicken thighs with the sweet and sticky taste of a honey soy glaze. Cooked slowly in a slow cooker, the chicken thighs are tender and full of flavor.
The sauce, made with ingredients like hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and a hint of spice from Korean hot pepper powder, is rich and satisfying. Served over steamed rice and garnished with sesame seeds and fresh scallions, this dish is sure to be a hit at your dinner table.
Chicken Thighs (3 pounds): These are bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. They are the main ingredient of this recipe and provide the protein. They are seasoned and cooked in the slow cooker to achieve a tender and flavorful result.
Garlic Powder: This is used to season the chicken thighs. It adds a savory depth to the overall flavor of the dish.
Montreal Chicken Seasoning: This is a blend of spices that is used to season the chicken. It’s optional and can be replaced with salt and pepper.
Onion Powder: This is another seasoning used for the chicken. It adds a sweet and mild onion flavor to the dish.
Low Sodium Chicken Broth (1/2 cup): This is used to make the sauce for the chicken. It adds flavor and helps to keep the chicken moist during cooking.
Hoisin Sauce (3 tablespoons): This is a thick, fragrant sauce commonly used in Chinese cuisine. It adds a sweet and salty flavor to the sauce.
Dark Soy Sauce (1.5 tablespoons): This is a darker and slightly thicker soy sauce. It adds a rich, salty flavor to the sauce.
Light Soy Sauce (1 tablespoon): This is a thinner, saltier soy sauce. It adds an additional layer of flavor to the sauce.
Korean Hot Pepper Powder (1/4 teaspoon): This adds a hint of spice to the dish. It can be omitted if you prefer a milder flavor.
Cracked Black Pepper: This is used to season the sauce and the chicken. It adds a mild heat and a depth of flavor.
Light Brown Sugar (2 tablespoons): This sweetens the sauce and helps to create a sticky glaze on the chicken.
Cornstarch: This is used to thicken the sauce. It’s mixed with room temperature chicken broth to prevent lumps.
Honey (1 tablespoon): This is drizzled over the chicken thighs before cooking. It adds a sweet flavor and helps to create a sticky glaze.
Roasted Sesame Seeds: These are used as a garnish. They add a nutty flavor and a slight crunch to the dish.
Fresh Scallion: This is used as a garnish. It adds a fresh, oniony flavor and a pop of color to the dish.
Cucumber Slices: These are served with the dish. They provide a refreshing contrast to the rich, savory flavors of the chicken and sauce.
Steamed Rice: This is served as a side with the chicken. It soaks up the sauce and complements the flavors of the dish.
Making The Glazed Chicken Thighs In The Slow Cooker
Season the Chicken: Season the bottom part of the chicken thighs and place them in the slow cooker. Season the top part with garlic powder, Montreal chicken seasoning, and onion powder.
Make the Sauce: In a separate bowl, combine the low sodium chicken broth, hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, Korean hot pepper powder, cracked black pepper, and light brown sugar. Stir until well combined.
Thicken the Sauce: Add cornstarch to the sauce mixture. Whisk until the cornstarch is fully incorporated and there are no lumps. The sauce should thicken slightly.
Pour Sauce Over Chicken: Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
Add Honey and Seasonings: Drizzle honey over the chicken thighs. Sprinkle additional garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper powder, and cracked black pepper on top.
Cook the Chicken: Cover the slow cooker with a lid and set it to high. Cook the chicken for approximately 2 to 3 hours. Check the chicken at the 2.5 hour mark. If the chicken was thawed prior to cooking, it may take less time.
Remove Rendered Fat: After 2.5 hours, remove some of the rendered fat from the top of the sauce. Stir the sauce to mix in the flavors from the bottom.
Continue Cooking: Allow the chicken to continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Garnish and Serve: Garnish the chicken with roasted sesame seeds and fresh scallions. Serve the chicken over steamed rice, ladling extra sauce over the top. If desired, serve with cucumber slices on the side.
Enjoy: Dig into your fork-tender chicken thighs and steamed rice. Enjoy the sweet and savory flavors of your homemade glazed chicken thighs.
Tips and Variations:
- Chicken Type: You can also use boneless chicken thighs or even chicken breasts in this recipe. However, bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs generally result in a more flavorful and juicy dish.
- Sauce Variations: Feel free to experiment with the sauce. You could add ingredients like ginger, lemongrass, or even some orange zest for a different flavor profile.
- Spice Level: Adjust the amount of Korean hot pepper powder according to your spice preference. You could also use a different type of chili powder, or even fresh chili peppers.
- Sweetness Level: If you prefer a sweeter sauce, you can increase the amount of honey or brown sugar. Conversely, if you prefer a less sweet sauce, reduce these ingredients.
- Thickening the Sauce: If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add more cornstarch. Just remember to dissolve it in cold liquid first to prevent lumps.
- Slow Cooker Settings: If you’re not in a rush, you could cook the chicken on the low setting of your slow cooker for a longer period of time. This can result in even more tender chicken.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish goes well with steamed rice, but you could also serve it with noodles or even a side of steamed vegetables.
- Garnishing: Feel free to experiment with different garnishes. Some chopped cilantro, toasted peanuts, or even a sprinkle of lime juice can add a nice touch.
- Leftovers: Leftover chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Freezing: This dish freezes well. Just be sure to allow it to cool completely before freezing. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
Glazed Chicken Thighs
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 3 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Garlic powder for seasoning
- Montreal chicken seasoning for seasoning
- Onion powder for seasoning
- 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of Korean hot pepper powder
- Cracked black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- Cornstarch for thickening the sauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Roasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Fresh scallion for garnish
- Cucumber slices for serving
- Steamed rice for serving
- Season the chicken thighs and place them in the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chicken broth, hoisin sauce, dark and light soy sauce, Korean hot pepper powder, cracked black pepper, and light brown sugar.
- Add cornstarch to the sauce mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
- Drizzle honey over the chicken thighs and sprinkle additional garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper powder, and cracked black pepper on top.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- After 2.5 hours, remove some of the rendered fat from the top of the sauce and stir the sauce.
- Allow the chicken to continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish the chicken with roasted sesame seeds and fresh scallions.
- Serve the chicken over steamed rice and cucumber slices. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450 kcalTotal Fat: 20gCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 30g