Start your culinary journey with our Crockpot Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe. These wings strike the perfect balance between sweet and spicy, with a honey buffalo sauce that’s slow-cooked to perfection.
Whether you’re hosting a party or enjoying a family dinner, these wings will surely be a hit. Plus, they’re easy to make and require minimal prep time. So why wait? Start cooking up some love with these delicious wings!
Chicken Wings: The main ingredient of the recipe.
Cold Water: Two tablespoons of cold water are mixed with cornstarch to make the sauce thickener.
Ranch or Blue Cheese Dip: Serve the wings with your favorite dip.
Celery: A traditional accompaniment to buffalo wings.
For the Spice Rub:
Brown Sugar: 2 tablespoons of brown sugar add a sweetness that balances the heat from the spices.
Salt: 1 and a half teaspoons of salt enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
Ground Black Pepper: 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper adds a bit of heat and depth of flavor.
Smoked Paprika: 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika provides a smokey flavor to the wings.
Garlic Powder: 1 and a half teaspoons of garlic powder adds a savory taste.
Onion Powder: 1 and a half teaspoons of onion powder provides a subtle flavor.
Chili Powder: 1 teaspoon of chili powder adds a little heat.
Cumin: 1 teaspoon of cumin adds a warm, earthy flavor.
For the Honey Buffalo Sauce:
Frank’s Original: 3 cups of Frank’s Original is the base for the buffalo sauce.
Honey: 1 and a half cups of honey sweetens the sauce and balances the heat of the buffalo sauce.
Molasses: 1 tablespoon of molasses adds a deep, rich sweetness.
Melted Butter: 2 tablespoons of melted butter adds a rich flavor.
For the Sauce Thickener:
Cornstarch: 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with cold water thickens the sauce.
Making The Crockpot Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings
Preparing the Spice Rub:
Combine the brown sugar, salt, ground black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin in a small bowl. Stir to mix the spices thoroughly. This spice rub will add a flavorful crust to the wings before they are slow-cooked.
Applying the Rub to the Wings:
Dust each wing with the spice rub, covering all sides evenly. This will ensure that every bite of the wings will be packed with flavor. Once the wings are coated, place them into the slow cooker.
Preparing the Honey Buffalo Sauce:
Combine Frank’s Original, honey, molasses, and melted butter in a separate bowl. Stir these ingredients together until well combined. This sauce will give the wings their sweet and spicy flavor.
Cooking the Wings:
Pour the honey buffalo sauce over the chicken wings in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours. The slow cooking process will allow the wings to absorb the flavors of the sauce and become tender.
Preparing the Wings for Broiling:
Once the wings are cooked, remove them from the slow cooker and place them on a wire rack on top of a foil-lined sheet pan. Begin preheating the broiler to high. This step prepares the wings for broiling, caramelizing the sauce and giving the wings a sticky texture.
Thickening the Sauce:
Next, transfer the sauce into a saucepan until it’s boiling over medium heat. Stir in a mixture of cornstarch and cold water and cook until the sauce has thickened. This step will make the sauce stickier and more flavorful.
Broiling the Wings:
Baste the wings with the thickened honey buffalo sauce and place them under the broiler for about 2 minutes. Repeat this process a few times, returning the wings to the broiler until they’ve caramelized. This step will give the wings a nice, crispy exterior.
Serving the Wings:
Finally, serve the wings with your favorite ranch or blue cheese dip, celery, and napkins. The dip and celery contrast the sweet and spicy wings, and the napkins are a must for this sticky, finger-licking dish!
- For crispier wings, broil them a little longer, but be careful not to burn them.
- If you prefer your wings to be extra saucy, reserve some honey buffalo sauce before thickening it and drizzling it over the wings just before serving.
- You can adjust the heat level by adding more or less chili powder in the spice rub.
- Make sure to use a slow cooker large enough to accommodate all the wings without overcrowding them.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice to the honey buffalo sauce for a tangier twist.
- If you like your wings with a smoky flavor, add a dash of liquid smoke to the sauce.
- For a tropical version, replace half of the honey with pineapple juice.
- Add some soy sauce and ginger to the buffalo sauce for an Asian-inspired variation.
Honey Buffalo Crockpot Chicken Wings
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups Frank's Original
- 1.5 cup honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Combine brown sugar, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin to make a spice rub.
- Dust each wing with the spice rub and place in the slow cooker.
- Make the honey buffalo sauce by combining Frank's Original, honey, molasses, and melted butter.
- Pour the sauce over the wings and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the wings, place them on a wire rack, and broil.
- Thicken the sauce with cornstarch and water, heat until boiling, then baste the wings and broil until caramelized.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300 kcalTotal Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 20g