Introducing the Italian Garlic Chicken cooked in a crock pot! This delicious and easy-to-make dish is full of flavor, thanks to the generous amount of garlic and Italian seasoning. Cooked slowly over six to eight hours, the chicken becomes incredibly tender and absorbs all the wonderful flavors. It’s the perfect meal for a cozy family dinner and will impress your loved ones!
Chicken Legs: This is the main ingredient of the dish. The number of chicken legs depends on the servings you plan.
Garlic: This is the key flavoring agent in the dish. The more garlic you use, the more flavorful your chicken will be.
Olive Oil: This is used to coat the chicken legs before seasoning them. It helps the seasoning stick to the chicken and lends a rich flavor.
Italian Seasoning: This blend of dried Italian-inspired herbs such as basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. It gives the chicken a distinct Italian flavor.
Red Chili Flakes: These add a spicy kick to the chicken. You can adjust the amount based on your heat preference.
Salt and Pepper: These are basic seasonings that enhance the dish’s overall flavor.
Chicken Broth: This keeps the chicken moist and flavorful during the slow cooking.
Making The Italian Garlic Chicken Recipe In Crock Pot
Season the Chicken:
Start by seasoning the chicken legs. If you have a Ziploc bag, you can use it for this step, but a large bowl will also work perfectly fine. Add the olive oil, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper to the chicken. Mix everything until the chicken legs are well coated with the seasoning.
Arrange the Chicken in the Crock Pot:
Next, move to your crock pot. Take the seasoned chicken legs and arrange them in the crock pot in a single layer. If you have a crock pot liner, you can use it here, but it’s not necessary.
Add Garlic and Chicken Broth:
Now, take your whole garlic cloves and distribute them randomly around the chicken. Following this, pour your chicken broth into the crock pot, ensuring it covers the chicken and garlic.
Cook the Chicken:
Cover your crock pot with the lid and set it to cook on low for six to eight hours. The aim is to cook the chicken until it is tender. It is recommended to check on the chicken every two hours to monitor its progress.
Check the Chicken:
After six hours, check the chicken. It should have a nice color and look like it was cooked in an oven. If you wish, you can baste the chicken by spooning some of the juices from the crock pot over it.
Once the chicken is fully cooked and tender, please remove it from the crock pot and place it on a cutting board or serving dish. Your Italian Garlic Chicken is now ready to be enjoyed.
Finally, it’s time for quality control. Take a bite of the chicken to ensure the seasoning is on point and the chicken is cooked to your liking. If you’re satisfied with the outcome, it’s time to serve the dish and enjoy your meal.
Tips and Variations for Italian Garlic Chicken in Crock Pot Recipe
- Chicken Type: You can use chicken thighs or breasts instead of legs. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as different cuts of chicken may require different cooking times.
- Garlic: If you’re a big fan of garlic, feel free to add more. You can also mince some of the garlic for a stronger flavor.
- Checking the Chicken: Check it every couple of hours to ensure it doesn’t overcook. If the chicken is cooked, but you’re not ready to eat yet, leave it in the ‘keep warm’ setting if your crock pot has one.
- Basting: Basting the chicken with the cooking liquid halfway through the cooking process will keep it moist and flavorful.
- Spices: Feel free to experiment with other spices or herbs. Rosemary, thyme, or a bit of smoked paprika could add a nice touch.
- Vegetables: You can add vegetables like potatoes, carrots, or bell peppers to make it a complete meal in one pot.
- Wine: For an extra depth of flavor, replace half of the chicken broth with a good quality white wine.
- Lemon: For a tangy twist, add some lemon zest or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice towards the end of the cooking time.
Can I use other parts of the chicken for this recipe?
Can I add vegetables to this recipe?
Can I use minced garlic instead of whole cloves?
What can I serve with this Italian Garlic Chicken?
Can I cook this on high instead of low in the crock pot?
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Can I use dried garlic instead of fresh?
Italian Garlic Chicken in Crock Pot
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- Chicken Legs: 6 pieces
- Garlic: 10 cloves
- Olive Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Italian Seasoning: 1 tablespoon
- Red Chili Flakes: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Pepper: to taste
- Chicken Broth: 2 cups
- Season the chicken legs with olive oil, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken in a single layer in the crock pot.
- Distribute whole garlic cloves around the chicken and pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for six to eight hours until the chicken is tender.
- Check the chicken after six hours, baste if necessary, and continue cooking if needed.
- Once fully cooked, remove from the crock pot and serve.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300 kcalTotal Fat: 20gCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 25g