It’s a chilly winter day, the kind that commands a warm, comforting meal. You reach into your pantry and pull out the humble potato—one, two, three, more than you can count. You remember your grandmother’s roasted potatoes – golden, crispy on the outside, melt-in-your-mouth tender on the inside, oozing a delicious aroma. But you have a secret tool your grandmother didn’t: the slow cooker.
Slow-cooker roasted potatoes are a culinary pleasure for taste buds and the aromas. These potatoes are delicately cooked over hours, allowing the medley of flavors to infuse deeply, transforming the ordinary potato into a delectable treat.
Making slow-cooker roasted potatoes requires minimalist ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- A sprinkle of your favorite herbs
Creating this comfort food is a process as satisfying as the end result.
- Start by washing and cutting the potatoes into your desired size (no need to peel).
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, and your selected herbs.
- Now, lay them gently into your slow cooker, cover them, and let them perform their magic over the next 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low heat until they’re tender.
For a perfect serving of slow cooker roasted potatoes, select the right potato. A waxy variety, like red or Yukon Gold, holds well and stays moist in slow cooking. Dice them evenly for consistent cooking, and remember to toss them in oil and seasoning to avoid sticking on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Your slow cooker roasted potatoes can take on various guises. Add garlic powder for a hint of spark or caramelized onion for sweetness. You can also tweak by incorporating different types of potatoes or adding grated cheese during the last half hour of cooking for a cheesy delight.
Can you roast potatoes in a slow cooker?
How long does it take to roast potatoes in a slow cooker?
Do you need to add liquid to the slow cooker when roasting potatoes?
What seasonings can I use to flavor roasted potatoes in a slow cooker?
Can I roast other vegetables in a slow cooker with the potatoes?
Can I make crispy roasted potatoes in a slow cooker?
Who knew the humble potato could be such a splendid dish? Once you’ve tried slow cooker roasted potatoes, you’ll want them as a regular feature on your dinner menu. Enjoy!
- 3 pounds of waxy potatoes (such as red or Yukon Gold), washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary (or your favorite herbs)
- Optional: grated cheese, garlic powder, caramelized onion, etc.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary until well coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a 6-quart slow cooker and spread them in an even layer. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- If desired, sprinkle some grated cheese over the potatoes during the last 30 minutes of cooking for a cheesy crust.
- Enjoy your slow cooker roasted potatoes as a side dish or a main course with your favorite toppings.
If you want to see a visual demonstration of how to make slow-cooker roasted potatoes, you can watch this video by One Pot Chef. However, he uses a different technique and ingredients than I do. I prefer to cut the potatoes into smaller pieces and season them with rosemary and parmesan cheese for more flavor and texture. I also cook them for a shorter time to avoid overcooking them. You can try both methods and see which one you like better.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 9.8gCarbohydrates: 33.5gFiber: 3.8gProtein: 4.2g