Slow Cooker Chicken and Dressing is a comforting and hearty meal for any family dinner. With tender, seasoned chicken, creamy condensed soup, and flavorful cornbread stuffing, this dish will surely become a favorite.
It’s simple to prepare in the crockpot, making it the ideal recipe for those busy days when you need a delicious dinner without the fuss.
3 Chicken Breasts: This forms the main protein of the dish. It’s cooked slowly in the crockpot until tender and easy to shred.
1 Can of Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup: This adds a rich, savory flavor to the dish. It also helps to bind the other ingredients together.
1 Can of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: This boosts the chicken flavor and adds creaminess.
1 Pound of Cornbread Stuffing Mix: This forms the “dressing” part of the chicken and dressing. It absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients and becomes soft and flavorful as it cooks.
Seasonings: These include thyme, seasoned salt, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. They add depth and complexity to the flavors of the dish.
3 Tablespoons of Butter: This adds richness and helps to brown the top of the dressing.
2 Cups of Water: This is used to thin out the condensed soups and create a sauce that the stuffing mix can absorb.
Making The Slow Cooker Chicken And Dressing
Prepare the Crockpot and Chicken:
Arrange three chicken breasts in a 4.5-quart crockpot. Season them with your choice of thyme, seasoned salt, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Flip the breasts over and repeat the seasoning on the other side.
Add the Stuffing Mix:
Pour 16 ounces of cornbread stuffing mix over the seasoned chicken breasts in the crockpot.
Add the Soups:
Pour one can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and chicken soup over the stuffing mix.
Mix and Add Water:
Mix the dry stuffing with the soups, doing your best to combine them. Add a can of water to the mixture, ensuring the stuffing mix is well moistened.
Dot the top of the mixture with approximately three tablespoons of butter.
Cover the crockpot with the lid and set it to high. Cook the mixture for about three to four hours.
Shred the Chicken:
After the cooking time, shred the chicken using two forks. It should be tender and easy to shred.
Add another cup of water if needed and mix well. Let it cook for an additional hour.
Serve the chicken and dressing hot. Optional: Top with creamed peas and carrots for added flavor and texture.
Note: The total cooking time will be about four hours on high.
Tips and Variations
- Use Different Soups: You can substitute the cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup with cream of celery or cream of onion soup for a different flavor profile.
- Add Vegetables: For added nutrition and flavor, consider adding diced vegetables like carrots, celery, or onions to the crockpot. You could also stir in some frozen peas or corn during the last hour of cooking.
- Try Different Seasonings: Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to suit your taste. Rosemary, sage, and poultry seasoning would all work well in this recipe.
- Use Bone-in Chicken: For even more flavor, you could use bone-in chicken breasts or thighs. Just be sure to remove the bones before shredding the chicken.
- Make it Creamier: If you prefer a creamier texture, you can add an extra can of condensed soup or a splash of cream during the last hour of cooking.
- Add Cheese: For a cheesy twist, sprinkle some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese over the top during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Check for Doneness: Be sure to check that your chicken is fully cooked before shredding. It should be at least 165°F at the thickest part.
- Let it Rest: Allow the dish to rest for a few minutes after cooking. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the dressing to set up a bit.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish pairs well with a simple green salad or steamed vegetables. For a complete meal, serve it with a side of cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe?
Can I add vegetables to this recipe?
Can I use a different type of condensed soup?
Can I make this recipe creamier?
How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked?
What should I serve with this dish?
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Can of Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Pound of Cornbread Stuffing Mix
- Seasonings: Thyme, Seasoned Salt, Celery Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Cups of Water
- Season and arrange chicken in crockpot
- Add stuffing mix.
- Add soups.
- Mix and add water.
- Top with butter.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken and add additional water if needed.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500 kcalTotal Fat: 20gCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 30g