Indulge in the comfort of a hearty meal with this easy slow cooker Chicken and Gravy recipe. It’s the perfect dish to satisfy your cravings with tender chicken smothered in a rich, flavorful gravy. Let’s begin this simple yet scrumptious journey to a delightful dinner.
- Chicken Breast: You’ll need three boneless chicken breasts as the main protein for this dish.
- Chicken Broth: This will add flavor and form your gravy base.
- Butter: Used for creating a roux to thicken the gravy.
- Flour: This helps to thicken the sauce and gives it a smooth consistency.
- Onion Powder: Adds a subtle onion flavor without the texture of fresh onions.
- Oregano: A herb that brings the gravy a warm, aromatic flavor.
- Thyme: Another herb that pairs well with chicken and adds depth to the gravy.
- Parsley: Used for garnishing and adding a fresh note to the dish.
- Smoked Paprika: Provides a smoky flavor that complements the chicken beautifully.
- Chicken Bouillon: Concentrated chicken flavor that enhances the overall taste of the gravy.
- Garlic Powder: Adds a rich, savory element to the seasoning blend.
- Black Pepper: Gives a slight heat and sharpness to the dish.
- Seasoned Salt: A blend of salt and other seasonings for an extra flavor boost.
- Olive Oil: Helps to coat the chicken and allows the seasoning to adhere well.
- Salt and Pepper (to taste): For final seasoning adjustments before serving.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
Prepare the Seasoning Blend
- Combine garlic powder, smoked paprika, seasoned salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Mix these spices to create a uniform seasoning blend.
Season the Chicken
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken breasts.
- Apply the seasoning blend generously, ensuring the chicken is well-coated.
- Mix the chicken with the seasoning to ensure an even distribution.
Cook the Roux
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and stir for about two minutes to cook off the raw flour taste.
Create the Gravy Base
- Gradually add two cups of chicken broth to the roux, constantly stirring to avoid lumps.
- If available, you can also whisk in a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken the gravy further. If not, add two tablespoons of flour.
- Pour in the last cup of chicken broth and continue stirring.
Add Seasonings to Gravy
- Include the remaining dry ingredients: chicken bouillon, smoked paprika, thyme, parsley, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Let the mixture simmer until it thickens to a gravy consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Slow Cook the Chicken
- Place the seasoned chicken breasts in the crock pot.
- Pour the thickened gravy mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for four to five hours.
Shred the Chicken
- After cooking, check if the chicken is tender enough to shred with two forks.
- Shred the chicken directly in the crock pot.
Final Cooking Stage
- Once the chicken is shredded, cover the crock pot again.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Quality Control and Serving
- After 20 minutes, check the consistency and flavor of the chicken and gravy.
- Plate the dish, preferably with rice or mashed potatoes, as desired.
- Perform a final taste test to ensure the dish meets your satisfaction before serving.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
When serving Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy, you have a variety of options to complement the rich and savory flavors of the dish. Here are some suggestions:
Mashed Potatoes: The creamy texture of mashed potatoes pairs wonderfully with the gravy.
White or Brown Rice: A simple bed of rice can soak up the delicious gravy.
Buttered Noodles: Egg noodles or any pasta can be a comforting addition.
Steamed Vegetables: Green beans, broccoli, or carrots offer a healthy and colorful side.
Biscuits or Dinner Rolls: Perfect for sopping up any leftover gravy on your plate.
Cauliflower Mash: A low-carb alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
Roasted Potatoes: Seasoned and roasted to perfection, they add a crispy texture.
Garden Salad: A light salad with a vinaigrette dressing can balance the hearty gravy.
Sweet Corn: Whether on the cob or as a creamy corn side dish, it pairs well with chicken.
Macaroni and Cheese: Serve with creamy mac and cheese for an extra indulgent meal.
Choose one or more of these sides to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal that complements the flavors of your Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy.
It’s best to thaw chicken breasts before adding them to the slow cooker to ensure even cooking and food safety. If you must use frozen, expect to add some extra cooking time and ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
If your gravy is too thin after cooking, create a cornstarch slurry (mix equal parts cornstarch and water) and stir it into the gravy, allowing it to cook and thicken further.
Yes, chicken thighs can be used and will add more flavor due to their higher fat content. Adjust cooking times as needed since thighs may cook faster.
While slow cookers are more forgiving, it is still possible to overcook chicken, which can lead to a dry texture. Stick to the recommended cooking times.
Yes, you can add vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or onions, but consider their cooking times. You may want to add them later in the cooking process so they don’t become too soft.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat gently to preserve the texture of the chicken.
Yes, this dish freezes well. Let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove over low heat, adding a bit of broth or water if the gravy is too thick.
You can cook it on high to reduce the cooking time by about half, but the chicken may not be as tender as when cooked on low.
Consider adding a splash of white wine, Worcestershire sauce, or a sprig of fresh rosemary or thyme to the gravy for additional depth of flavor.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken breasts with garlic powder, smoked paprika, seasoned salt, and black pepper, then drizzle with olive oil to coat.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour, and cook for two minutes to create a roux.
- Gradually pour chicken broth into the roux, stirring continuously to combine and prevent lumps.
- Add chicken bouillon, smoked paprika, thyme, parsley, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder to the gravy, simmering until thickened.
- Place the seasoned chicken in the slow cooker and pour the thickened gravy over the top.
- Cover and set the slow cooker to low, cooking the chicken for 4 to 5 hours until tender.
- Shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker, ensuring it's well mixed with the gravy.
- Allow the shredded chicken and gravy to cook for 20 minutes to melt the flavors.
- Serve the chicken and gravy hot, garnished with a sprinkle of parsley, alongside your choice of rice or mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 950mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 40g