This Creamy White Bean Chicken Chili is a delicious and comforting dish perfect for any time of the year. It’s packed with hearty white beans, tender chicken, and a blend of southwestern spices that give it a unique kick.
The addition of cream cheese makes it extra creamy and rich, while the homemade tortilla strips add a satisfying crunch. Whether you’re serving it for a family dinner or a chili cook-off, this recipe is sure to be a hit!
Small Onion: One small onion is required for this recipe. It needs to be chopped and added to the crockpot. Onions provide a great base flavor for most dishes.
Garlic Cloves: Two cloves of minced garlic are needed. They are added to the crockpot along with the onions. Garlic adds a distinct flavor that complements the other ingredients.
Ground Chili Powder: This recipe requires 1 tablespoon of ground chili powder. It’s mixed with other spices and added to the crockpot.
Ground Cumin: 1 tablespoon of ground cumin is used. Part of the spice mix gives this chili its unique flavor.
Ground Oregano: 3-quarters teaspoon of ground oregano is added to the spice mix.
Smoked Paprika: 3 quarters teaspoon of smoked paprika is included in the spice mix.
Cayenne Pepper: Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper is used. This adds a bit of heat to the chili.
Black Pepper: Half a teaspoon of black pepper is added for taste.
Salt: 1 teaspoon of salt is used to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
Chicken Stock: 3 cups of chicken stock are poured into the crockpot. This forms the liquid base of the chili.
Creamed Corn: A can of creamed corn is added to the chili. This adds a creamy texture and sweet flavor.
White Beans: The recipe calls for white beans that have been drained and rinsed. They provide a hearty element to the chili.
Green Chilies: Drained green chilies are used. They can be mild or hot, depending on your preference for spice.
Raw Chicken Breast: The chicken is added raw and cooked in the crockpot. Make sure the liquid completely covers it.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is added after the chicken is cooked and shredded. It’s cut into cubes and stirred into the chili to make it creamier.
Frozen Corn: Half a cup of frozen corn is added after the chicken and cream cheese. It’s heated through in the chili.
Tortilla Strips: Homemade tortilla strips are used as a topping. They’re made by slicing tortillas and frying them until they’re crunchy.
- Sour Cream
- Lime Wedges
- Fresh or Pickled Jalapenos
- Chopped Red Onions
- Shredded Cheese
Making The White Bean Chicken Chili In The Crockpot
Preparation: Begin by chopping one small onion. Mince two cloves of garlic. A garlic press can mince the garlic directly into the pot.
Mix the Spices: Combine one tablespoon each of ground chili powder and ground cumin, three quarters teaspoons each of ground oregano and smoked paprika, half a teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and black pepper, and one teaspoon of salt. Stir these spices together to blend them.
Add Ingredients to Crockpot: Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to your crockpot. Pour in 3 cups of chicken stock, followed by the spice mixture. Stir to combine. Add a can of creamed corn, drained and rinsed white beans, and drained green chilies.
Cook the Chicken: Place raw chicken breasts into the crockpot, fully covering them with the liquid. Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for about 6 hours until the chicken is tender.
Shred the Chicken: Once the chicken is tender, remove it from the crockpot and shred it using two forks. You may also cut the chicken into chunks if you prefer.
Add Cream Cheese: Cut softened cream cheese into cubes and add it to the chili. Stir to incorporate the cream cheese, allowing it to melt and make the chili creamier.
Add Shredded Chicken and Corn: Return the shredded chicken to the chili. Add about half a cup of frozen corn. Heat on high for about 15 minutes with the cover off so the corn is heated and the chili thickens slightly.
Prepare Tortilla Strips: Slice some corn or flour tortillas into strips. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet and fry the tortilla strips until they’re crunchy. Top the tortilla strips with a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of salt.
Serve the Chili: Dish the creamy white bean chicken chili into bowls. Serve with your favorite chili toppings such as sour cream, lime wedges, cilantro, avocado, fresh jalapenos or pickled jalapenos, chopped red onions, shredded cheese, homemade tortilla strips, or Fritos. Enjoy your delicious and hearty meal!
Tips and Variations:
- Adjust the Spice: If you like your chili spicier, you can increase the amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper. Conversely, you can reduce these amounts if you prefer a milder chili.
- Use Different Types of Beans: While this recipe calls for white beans, you can also use other types of beans, such as pinto or black beans, for a different flavor profile.
- Add Vegetables: Feel free to add other vegetables like bell peppers or zucchini to the chili for added nutrition and flavor.
- Use Different Proteins: You can substitute the chicken with other proteins like turkey or tofu for a different variation.
- Cheese Variations: If you don’t have cream cheese on hand, you can use other types of soft, melting cheese like Velveeta or even a scoop of sour cream.
- Toppings: The toppings for this chili are very customizable. You can add fresh chopped tomatoes, black olives, or even some crushed tortilla chips for added crunch.
- Make it Thicker: If you prefer a thicker chili, you can mash some of the beans before adding them to the pot. This will give your chili a thicker consistency.
- Stovetop Version: If you don’t have a crockpot, you can also make this chili on the stovetop. Just simmer everything in a large pot until the chicken is tender and the flavors are well combined.
- Freezing: This chili freezes well. Just let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
White Bean Chicken Chili
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 1 small Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ground Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 can Creamed Corn
- 1 can White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Green Chilies, drained
- Raw Chicken Breasts
- 1 block Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Frozen Corn
- Tortillas for Tortilla Strips
- Begin by chopping one small onion and mincing two cloves of garlic.
- Combine ground chili powder, ground cumin, ground oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- Add the onions, garlic, chicken stock, spice mixture, creamed corn, white beans, and green chilies to your crockpot.
- Place raw chicken breasts into the crockpot, fully covering them with the liquid. Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for about 6 hours until the chicken is tender.
- After the chicken is tender, remove it from the crockpot and shred it using two forks.
- Cut softened cream cheese into cubes and add it to the chili. Stir to incorporate the cream cheese, allowing it to melt and make the chili creamier.
- Return the shredded chicken to the chili and add about half a cup of frozen corn. Heat on high for about 15 minutes with the cover off so that the corn is heated through and the chili thickens slightly.
- Slice a couple of corn or flour tortillas into strips. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet and fry the tortilla strips until they're crunchy. Top the tortilla strips with a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of salt.
- Serve the chili with your favorite toppings. Enjoy your delicious and hearty meal!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 kcalTotal Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 25g